Hair colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katty198999

Reaction score
Hi I am recently qualified in ladies hair dressing and need some advice.

I am wanting to colour my hair extensions before putting them back into my hair.
They are the lightest shade blonde with an ash tone (very cool blonde)
and my natural Hair at the moment is blonde approx level 10 with beige / gold tones in it.
I have tried a couple of test pieces tonight - a 9.00 and a 9.40 ( shwartzkopft)
The 9.40 was okay ish but when I pressed tightly over my hair you could see it was slightly darker. And the 9.00 was too dark .... I want them to match 100% so those are no good.
Now .. my question is - if I used a 10.4 which is classed as a hi lift tint - can this make the hair technically go darker from what it is now with it- and if it will - do I use the 3% developer to make it darker ? Or 12% as that’s what I’ve been told you use High lifts with?!

Sorry to sound thick but not had a lot of training on hi lifts :(
Thanks x

10 isn’t a high lift tint. 11 and 12 are and are formulated differently.

Although it’s human hair, your strands will have come from hair from many different heads so it will have been heavily chemically processed to make it look a uniform colour before being sold. That’s why they don’t respond to further colouring in the same way as if you were colouring virgin hair and so they can end up very dry and patchy looking.

Also, any guarantee you had will be invalidated, if you try to alter the colour.

You could try a dilute semi or a gold rinse as that won’t be as damaging but it’s not likely to take consistently so you’d be better off either colouring your hair to match or buying some new matching extensions.

I’d also recommend reading up about colouring some more so that you better understand the differences between normal colour and highlift tints and the effects of different peroxide strengths.

This is not a reflection on you or your post but you can always tell the novice colourist on SG when they talk about highlift tints being less damaging than bleach. It just demonstrates that their knowledge of colour is still very basic.

No that’s fab thanks for your help. I start college back on Tuesday for level 3 so I’m hoping to learn a lot more on colouring finally.

Latest posts

Back