Hair coloured whilst breastfeeding?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch16

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me if its safe to have my hair coloured whilst exclusively breastfeeding?

I've made an enquiry to a local mobile hairdresser and she advised it would be best for me to express due to some chemicals which could pass into milk, problem is I don't express as baby doesn't take a bottle.

She also said some people continue to have hair coloured regardless. Baby is 5 months old. Thanks in advance x

There's a thread similar on the hair forums, its perfectly ok to colour while pregnant or breast feeding. Some of the chemicals will leach into your bloodstream as normal and will be resent in breast milk, but as from the other thread so does cleaning products and other chemicals, but no one has ever said don't clean. If you way your hair coloured you can, and there is no difference in expressing or feeding direct, after all it still came from you and the trace chemicals are still there, as is trace domestos and anything else your skin came in contact with that got in the blood stream xoxo

I coloured my friends the other week and she is breast feeding....there are no problems, colour can't get into your bloodstream unless you pump it straight into your vains x

Well I breast fed my eldest for 6 months, my little boy 14 months, and my youngest 9 months. I was working (with breaks to pump) as a hair stylist AND I had full head colour applications every 4-5 weeks myself.
Tiny amount of hair colour has been found in breast milk, along with cleaning products. These have not been proven to be harmfull. Babies usually tell you if something is wrong with your milk by throwing it all back up at you. Mine never did this after I had my hair coloured but if I ate anything with lots of garlic or chilli they soon let me know about it.
If you feel more comfortable then you could pump and dump a few feeds but what would baby eat in the meantime? As I said mine are all very healthy children with no ill effects.
If you need advice on breast feeding, especially pumping then your local health visitor will point you in the right direction ;)

Hi thanks for all the info. I also have two children and breastfed first for 13 month but again never pumped or had my hair coloured. Think I will go ahead and get the consultation which should include a patch test right? Again thanks for all the info x

Hi thanks for all the info. I also have two children and breastfed first for 13 month but again never pumped or had my hair coloured. Think I will go ahead and get the consultation which should include a patch test right? Again thanks for all the info x

Oh god yes, testing is a must. I don't know what salon gold require, as some allow once every few months, but I don't care what their minimum is, I test every time regardless xoxo

Latest posts

Back