Hair colouring & pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshie_91

Reaction score
Hey geeks
Just after a bit of advice on colouring and bleaching hair during pregnancy?
Is it safe & do you/have you done it?
I can't seem to get a straight answer from the internet.
Thanks xx

heya im doing level 3 and my tutor said there is no evidence to prove that it can harm your baby.

i did a colour correction on my pregant friend. she was full head bleach with 4-6 inch regrowth. i took her to her natural colour with a 6 , the peroxide strengh was low so it was fine and she was really pleased with it.

the only thing i cant stress enough is to do a patch test before. preganancy can lead to new allergies.

:)

Make sure you do skin tests. Explain to your client that as she is pregnant the colour may come out slightly different to what it normally does. (Can come out darker, not cover properly etc) also make sure she doesn't get too hot. There isn't any evidence to show that it can harm the baby x

Thank u both.
It's actually for me :D lol. Thanks for the reassurance xx

I had my hair dyed (full head) in a chocolate brown, red colour :S. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I've had no problems at all, baby is fine too. If anything, the colour came out better and hasn't washed out as much as normal.

I'm not a hairdresser, but thought I'd add my two pence! :) x

I just want to add my own experience of using bleach in pregnancy.

I was very warm from my second trimester on and this made bleach near the scalp take off a little quicker than before it also made me feel a bit sickly, dizzy and faint being draped in capes/gowns/towels because I was hot. So bare in mind if your client feels too warm. From the point of view of the baby, there is no evidence to suggest chemicals in colour or bleach will cause harm.

Skin test, if a client reacts they may not be able to take any drugs or it may harm the baby. But again no evidence to suggest the colour with harm x

Wen I was pregnant , colour took extremely quickly , bleach and 20vol
Literally took minute to lift a couple of shades x

I have always been taught to avoid it within the first few weeks (although as said above there is no evidence against it) due to hormones all over the place. I have coloured several pregnant heads of hair and never had a problem although I must stress none have ever been bleach directly on the scalp.

Its more the chemicals in perms that you have to watch apparently.

Skin test!
Safest is to use ammonia free colour

Thank u all those commented :) I bleach & tone my own hair but I will definitely do a skin test now. Hope I can stay blonde, I had to go brown when I was pregnant with my first :( bad times!!xx

Skin test!
Safest is to use ammonia free colour

Really?

Unless your talking about a true ammonia free like a Demi that doesn't lift.

If your talking about an ammonia free tint or bleach, then they contain a substitute which is still dangerous.

I see a lot of people using ammonia free colours for pregnancies, allergies, sensitivities- which is wrong as they are still powerful colours. The ammonia is taken out and usually a high amount of MEA is put in.

Ammonia is a great chemical, it just smells :) it's better to use than any substitute.

Really?

Unless your talking about a true ammonia free like a Demi that doesn't lift.

If your talking about an ammonia free tint or bleach, then they contain a substitute which is still dangerous.

I see a lot of people using ammonia free colours for pregnancies, allergies, sensitivities- which is wrong as they are still powerful colours. The ammonia is taken out and usually a high amount of MEA is put in.

Ammonia is a great chemical, it just smells :) it's better to use than any substitute.

Most pregnant women are sensitive to the smell, regardless, our scalps don't absorb enough chemicals (less than 5%) for it to hurt an unborn baby.
Still safer than sorry

Most pregnant ladies I know use ammonia free Demi's, wait until after the birth and then lift their hair if they want to.

But yes I do agree, ammonia free or not still a lot of nasty chemicals :)

I thought you were implying it was less likely to react to ammonia free colour :)

Latest posts

Back