Hair colours not as expected.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

min11

Reaction score
Ok, primarily I'm posting here before I go back and see my lady at the salon so I can get an idea if what happened is my fault. I went the Friday morning I flew out to Holland for my birthday surprise weekend for a cut and colour on my hair. Once there I found out I could only have a patch test. I was dissapointed but it was ok, made perfect sense anyway. Just had my hair restyled and blowdried. Last Friday I finally had it coloured. What I wanted to do was go a bit darker and warmer than my usual mousey dark blonde but I didn't want just a single flat colour. What I picked out for my colours was quite a warm brown colour and also a slightly lighter shade in a pretty auburn/red shade. Once it was done it looked lovely in the salon, not at all what I thought it would be but pretty, I didn't understand the blonde bits but typical me I just froze on that. In all the bill including my styling two weeks before was well over £100. In the week since it was done though I can see now its a really red colour with almost white strands, these are through the top layers. I'd had it coloured to cover up quite a few silver hairs but honestly I look in the mirror and to me I look like my white hairs multiplied by hundreds and the red colour just reminds me of one of those red home colours. I'm so self conscious anyway and this last few days I've gone out even less than usual. Infact I haven't been up to meet the school bus since it was done. The red is getting more intense and the blonde bits are getting more and more white looking.

Do you think a wrong colour got used or was what I asked for to blame? Its like straw now too. Just awful. After the colour the sylist said to the girl who washed it to use a toner, what ever that is. :cry:

I will go back but as I seemed happy enough when I left what if anything can I expect next?

:hug:I apologise if I sound daft now but did you aks for foils to get the light blonde on top or did you orginally ask for just an all over colour , if you just asked for an all over colour I dont understand how there are near white bits running through the top unless foils were added? also did you choose two different colours to be mixed together to get your required hair colour
the best thing you can do is go back and explain how you feel (like you are doing )

let us know how you get on:hug:

They were not foil but she did use cellophane looking folded pockets for the white/blonde colour? The two different colours were a base colour and a slightly different colour to add in some interest for want of how to put it. It was quite awkward as I'd imagined two or three tones mixed up all over my head using pockets like she used (I think I watch too many make over shows! :o ) but in the event she did a few on the top and then the rest in the other colour with out pockets.

Hope that made sense. Maybe I was expecting miracles for £85 which is what the actual colour cost.

I understand :) well it sounds like you have had blonde high lights and an all over colour, I can understand having the base and warm colour mixed together as when your covering grey you do need a base colour but if you only asked for an all over colour rather than foils or easy meche and had them then no its not what you asked for

did you go back after?

so, did you ask for an all over colour, and foils/meche thro the top of a different colour?

if you did, it sounds like she bleached the foils, to lift the hair, then when she asked for a toner on, that was for the blond bits. it sounds like the red all over had had too much red and not enough base in it so it is fading quickly.
you're best juts going and asking cos only she knows what she did, juts say you expected it to last longer and what can you do to prevent it fading anymore?

I understand :) well it sounds like you have had blonde high lights and an all over colour, I can understand having the base and warm colour mixed together as when your covering grey you do need a base colour but if you only asked for an all over colour rather than foils or easy meche and had them then no its not what you asked for

did you go back after?

Thats the thing, I didn't ask for an all over colour. I wanted to go darker but not one flat colour, I wanted it to have multiple tones (I did mention the foil thing and how I had seen it on tv that I had liked). So, she asked me to pick the base colour and one other, which I did. I didn't pick peroxide blonde though which is what I seem to have.

so, did you ask for an all over colour, and foils/meche thro the top of a different colour?

I wasn't sure what to ask for, only the end result I had in mind but that does sound like what she did but not in the colours I expected.

if you did, it sounds like she bleached the foils, to lift the hair, then when she asked for a toner on, that was for the blond bits. it sounds like the red all over had had too much red and not enough base in it so it is fading quickly.
you're best juts going and asking cos only she knows what she did, juts say you expected it to last longer and what can you do to prevent it fading anymore?

The thing is the top had blonde bits in it even when I left. It's just that as I wasn't sure why I didn't say at the time. Its only been in normal daylight that I can see its an unatural reddish tone all over with these near white bit through the top that I see I ended up with what I thought would be the bits through it as my main colour and no sign of the darker brown.

I'll make an appointment to go back, its just that as its obviously completely not what I was expecting I'm concerned I might not be any clearer to her. I dont know who went wrong, me or her but at no stage did I pick peroxide blonde, almost white.

Thanks Geeks :hug:

ahhh I see what you mean now you wanted a full head of foils with different tones going through but got white bits on top and the rest was an all over colour?

the only thing I can suggest is to see if you can find a photo of the colour and idea you had in mind and explain you wanted prehaps a full head of foils with different tones of colours going through rather than an all over base colour

Latest posts

Back