Hair extensions are no good for fine hair, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocheaven

Reaction score
I'm not a hairdresser so I hope I'm ok posting in here. I really need some help to try rectify the damage extensions have done my hair.

I've had Raptures for the past few months, (only 1 pack for volume) and Easilocks before that for about a month (hated them!) but decided to give my hair a break. I know people say it's because you get used to how thick your hair feels but I can honestly say that extensions have definitely thinned out my hair. It feels so fragile and like its gonna snap. It's so wispy I can barely style it. And I know my hair wasn't like that before. I've always had fine hair but never like this.

I'm having my hair highlighted and trimmed in a few days so am hoping that will help, although I'm nervous about having it bleached as it's so fragile. What should I do?

I bought olaplex 3 to use at home and have ordered some Grow Me shampoo.

Please can anyone suggest what treatments/products I should use to try and get a decent head of hair back?

Photo below of how wispy it looks :(

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1464508347.675442.jpg

If I was worrying about my hair being thin the last thing I would be getting done is bleach xxx

I know Maisie. But as any woman knows if you have your hair styled and coloured a certain way it's hard having to imagine not being able to do that. I'm very fair and don't want to go dark, and I don't like my natural hair colour.
Is the best option to leave it then and not have it coloured for a while, maybe just get my roots done where it's not so delicate? X

I know Maisie. But as any woman knows if you have your hair styled and coloured a certain way it's hard having to imagine not being able to do that. I'm very fair and don't want to go dark, and I don't like my natural hair colour.
Is the best option to leave it then and not have it coloured for a while, maybe just get my roots done where it's not so delicate? X

Honestly if you get your hair highlighted often if she is using a strong bleach that is probably what would thin your hair out not the extensions :/ but if your hair is fragile extensions wouldn't help. Did you have the bonded type? The ones u heat up and remove with acetone ?

Yes I'd defiantly do that idea instead! Definatly just get your roots done and no bleach on the ends that are already thin I don't really know why ur hairdresser would bleach over ur ends again if your concerned about them being thin X
I think there's a Haircare range by loreal kerastase that's for thin hair and it's really good X

As Maisie has said I wouldn't of thought your hairdresser would put bleach on the ends anyway when they're already light.
Why not just have a really good cut and see how you feel.
You do feel bald after having extensions out, but if they've been put in correctly they shouldn't damage your hair at all x

I find its not the extensions that thin out your hair... some extensionists get trigger happy with the scissors/razer when blending. Yes it looks good when the extensions are in but when they come out you find out they've razored away half your hair x

Sorry I should've said before, I've only had my hair highlighted once since having the extensions and at the time the stylist told me that the bleach was only 3%(?) which is more "friendly". He only did half a head too. That's why I think it's the extensions that have thinned out my ends.

I'll try a good cut and will speak to the stylist about the worry re bleach. Hopefully all the extra products I've bought will work too x

I find its not the extensions that thin out your hair... some extensionists get trigger happy with the scissors/razer when blending. Yes it looks good when the extensions are in but when they come out you find out they've razored away half your hair x

I do agree with you, although I didn't have any hair cut except the ends trimmed as I only added a few in for thickness.

I do think extensions aren't suited for people with fine, bleached hair. They must cause extra stress on it x

Well I have super fine hair exactly like that picture, I have 200g of 1 g strands in there at the mo, I was white & grey (bleached & coloured) 2 days before I put my extensions in, I went back brown & put them in, my hairs fab with them in, I only tried 1g as a test I normally have 0.5g because my hairs very fine, however I'm really happy with the 1g and my hairs just fine too, there's nothing wrong with bleaching it just because it's fine, if anything it actually helps with texture, you'll get a far nicer blowdry on fine hair if it's got a bit of bleach in it! The only time fine hair will feel thicker is if it's packed with extensions or cut short, any where between a pixie cut and a graduated bob is the perfect length to make fine hair feel thicker :)

Fine hair cycles work at a slower rate to thick dense hair people's, the 3 stages (growing, resting & falling out) are usually much shorter than a person with thick hair, so for example when a client with fine hair comes in and says oh my hair never grows past my shoulders for example, that's because their 3 stages are done by that length of time (probably 2 years for shoulder length) and the hair falls away ready for new. thick dense hair clients will grow much longer usually because their stages are done by about 7 or maybe 10 years & there's 10 times more of it

You can't do a lot about having fine hair but you certainly shouldn't be afraid to do things to it, the best thing I ever did was chop it all off into a pixie & bleach it white, it felt thick and was a pleasure to work with

The actual hair extensions don't cause damage, the only ones I believe cause actual damage are the ones that are not put in propperly (traction alopecia) which gives blad spots not "damage" to the hair

If the propper weight is put on the propper sized section, there's no way it can be damaged in my opinion, glue definatley dosent damage hair neither do micro rings, if each extension is taken out with the right method & then the Matt at the top of the bond is gently brushed out how can there possibly be any damage? Just because you have a ball of hair on the comb the size of a guniea pig dosent mean there's any damage it is the 80-100 hairs you were supposed to loose each day that got caught up in the glue/ fitting & couldn't get out

Aftercare of your natural hair is really important to keep up too, it's all well and good applying lashes of oil & moisture to your long new locks but you mustn't forget a bout the top below the bond where the real hair is! If your not applying product there then straightening or curling it will cause damage, if any damage has been done I'd say this was the culprit not the extensions themselves.

Hi Hun, firstly if you hair is pretty fair then can't your hairdresser use tint instead of bleach?! Secondly, if your extensions were fitted correctly they wouldn't do that to the ends... Did they razor your hair for blending as this would explain why it's like this? Definitely would avoid bleach but and they shouldn't overlap it anyway as its bright enough! You could try tape hair if you really want extensions in. They are fiddly and don't last as long but they are gentle xx

Latest posts

Back