Hair extensions-are they really worth the headache?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTHair78

Reaction score
Is it really worth offering hair extensions as a service in your salon? I have heard far more "horror" stories from both clients and colleagues in the industry. They just seem to be much more a hassle than they are worth. I prefer to educate the client on keeping healthy hair so that it can grow out itself. Extensions just seem like the biggest waste of time and money in this industry for both the client and the practitioner... I just don't understand the point...

I agree... You get one bad client, then one good one & so on... Some client think they can treat it like there own & they realise that you can't when it's too late. Have a lady at the min with extensions in, bad on my name as she is not looking after them ( no brushing , in a horrible pony tail ) . X

Ps I enjoy doing them , just not the aftermath of clients unable to look after them x

Agreed. Good clients who look after them and treasure them make the job rewarding. Clients who don't make an effort and then blame it on the extensionist make you want to just quite to save the hassle. I'm too soft n it gets to me.

I don't like I have done some friends but I don't wanna do this service myself as it take ages and clients never want to pay what it worth.x

I do loads at the salon I work good money and only had a couple of bad clients x

Hi
I've been working with hair extensions for 11 years, and have a real passion for them.
I love them, I love everything hair and beauty, but nothing comes close to extensions, I've never had one complaint that couldnt be worked out.

I think it's just a case of what your real passion is for
X

I agree endless, iv been fitting extensions for years and make a very good living from extensions alone, iv had a few problem clients over the years but never anything major that couldn't be worked out quickly, iv had the same clients for years too thankfully. I think it's the slap dash " iv done a day course on how to apply 3 different methods, I'm fully qualified and only charge £100 " extensionists of today that are giving extensions a bad name.

I hope this is not the case as I want to train soon and am very excited about the prospect.

I very rarely have problems to be honest. I love fitting them!

I rarely have problems and i am a full time extensionist! Definately think they are worth it as i would not earn a living otherwise! I completely agree that clients should be encouraged to let their hair grow healthily and i always turn down clients with unsuitable hair. If they are fitted correctly and clients follow aftercare then there is no reason why there natural hair should not grow healthily. Also, extensions can be used for adding volume and not just length, amazing what they can do for a persons confidence! X

I rarely have problems and i am a full time extensionist! Definately think they are worth it as i would not earn a living otherwise! I completely agree that clients should be encouraged to let their hair grow healthily and i always turn down clients with unsuitable hair. If they are fitted correctly and clients follow aftercare then there is no reason why there natural hair should not grow healthily. Also, extensions can be used for adding volume and not just length, amazing what they can do for a persons confidence! X

Absoloutely!
I've not got mine in today, and feel rubbish!! They're like my comfort blanket! X

i love doing extensions, and really haven't had many problems at all contrary to my last 2 threads on here!!
I love the look on ladies faces when you show them how much thicker/longer their hair has become and I've only had one or two who haven't looked after them. I found that the girls who pay less for hair look after them less if that makes sense?
I am still cheap on the grand scheme of extensions but for my area I'm really quite expensive and these girls want to get as long as possible out the hair so generally take good care of them.
I can't imagine not doing them now, but I'd say it's something you have to really enjoy as it is a long slog putting them in!! S xx

Yes! I have a number of ladies who have successfully grown their own hair out while wearing extensions and then went to a half head for volume, then to clips for occasional use :) It's great when you take them out and show them how much their own hair has grown! x

It has brought me lots of extra clients to the salon! Definately worth offering, though you will have the odd client who wont look after them properly and will blame you and try and give your salon a bad name! But they have definately brought more business to the salon :)

Is it really worth offering hair extensions as a service in your salon? I have heard far more "horror" stories from both clients and colleagues in the industry. They just seem to be much more a hassle than they are worth. I prefer to educate the client on keeping healthy hair so that it can grow out itself. Extensions just seem like the biggest waste of time and money in this industry for both the client and the practitioner... I just don't understand the point...

they are absolutely worth it, simply because 90% of clients do love them. you get the odd weirdo's that try and get freebies etc and cause issues but you just have to be tough and lay down rules on a consultation form (get it signed) I am so glad i did my training and now work as a hair extension technician full-time as my career.most of my clients have thin hair or weak hair so it does give them that extra confidence boost that every client needs xx

I think there are some amazing extensionist out there, some with more experience generally have a great portfolio. There seem to be quite a few clueless geeks on here that aint gota clue where to start, what to use, which hair supplier, which method- its these individuals that give the amazing ones a bad name.

I really dont like the bad press of my hair fell out coz i had extensions bs, its not the hair its the experience behind the fitting. thats the horror story of uneducated self trained jokers out there.

I dont think its a hassle, it makes some people feel extra confident, fine limp hair looks fuller, and well its a transformation. I expect clients to maintain a refitting on time, those that dont in my book are as bad as the hairguessers.- thats the whats the point moment. xoxo

Latest posts

Back