Hair loss with extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzion

Reaction score
OMG! I have an extension client whom I fitted a full head of Balmain Prebonded to in December, she has fine hair, but not damaged or fragile, no signs of hairloss, no medication, clear scalp, youngest child 2 years. Therefore no reason not to fit. I removed them last month and refitted, I went yesterday to do maintenance and I was horrified to see about 6 bonds that she had lost were full of hair, on inspection I found bald patches on one side of her head! No where else. I must say she has very regular maintenance every 4 weeks, hardly loses any bonds, and 3 weeks when I did the removal there was absolutely no signs of hair loss. I'm very particular about not fitting bonds to close to the scalp I always use a guard, fit triangular sections. I informed the client of this and told her that if it continued I will be removing her extensions. Oddly on the bald patches there was lots and lots of new hair growth. Any views would be welcome. Thank you

OMG! I have an extension client whom I fitted a full head of Balmain Prebonded to in December, she has fine hair, but not damaged or fragile, no signs of hairloss, no medication, clear scalp, youngest child 2 years. Therefore no reason not to fit. I removed them last month and refitted, I went yesterday to do maintenance and I was horrified to see about 6 bonds that she had lost were full of hair, on inspection I found bald patches on one side of her head! No where else. I must say she has very regular maintenance every 4 weeks, hardly loses any bonds, and 3 weeks when I did the removal there was absolutely no signs of hair loss. I'm very particular about not fitting bonds to close to the scalp I always use a guard, fit triangular sections. I informed the client of this and told her that if it continued I will be removing her extensions. Oddly on the bald patches there was lots and lots of new hair growth. Any views would be welcome. Thank you

I wonder wether that 2 year old has been tugging at her hair.......??
Sounds like traction to me, only reason for it to come out at the roots. Either she had a scuffle with someone (lol) her kids pulled at them or she pulled them when brushing. Explain again to her the importance of being careful with them. Be honest with her, dont try to pretend there isnt a problem, or she wont realise the implications of pulling at them
xxxx

If its only on the one side could it be from were she's slept? it could be a combination of something's triggered her to have more fragile hair follicles (poor diet/stress) and then if she's been restless in bed it's caused enough tension to pull them out. the odd client I've had loose one from the root,it's always been on the side they've slept on..but it's only ever been one. If its a few I would definitely suggest that her hair follicles are weak somehow xx

I wonder wether that 2 year old has been tugging at her hair.......??
Sounds like traction to me, only reason for it to come out at the roots. Either she had a scuffle with someone (lol) her kids pulled at them or she pulled them when brushing. Explain again to her the importance of being careful with them. Be honest with her, dont try to pretend there isnt a problem, or she wont realise the implications of pulling at them
xxxx

Yes I was, she was more upset that I said I'd remove them. It is the side she sleeps on, think that must be a factor. I've thought of halving the bonds to put less weight on the hair in that area, but to be honest I won't refit them if it continues.

Cheers x

Better to be safe than sorry.:hug:

I would also ask if she has changed any medications or is suffering from anxiety as these changes can also impact massively. xx

How were the extensions attached to her? That looks like pain... :eek:

I would also ask if she has changed any medications or is suffering from anxiety as these changes can also impact massively. xx

Nope, none of the above. I think it's the sleeping as its only one side of her head. Ive told her to be really careful and if even one comes out full of hair I'm taking them out. I e not stopped thinking about it and part of me wants to just remove them, but don't want to scare her. Bloody nightmare never ever had this problem before. Thank u all for your help, that's why I love this site, so many knowledgable heads on here xx

Hi, could she be pulling her hair too tight in a side ponytail before going to bed, putting extra stress on the one side :confused: Maybe get her to use a silk scarf to wear to bed to avoid contact with pillow on that side :) Might help

Hi, could she be pulling her hair too tight in a side ponytail before going to bed, putting extra stress on the one side :confused: Maybe get her to use a silk scarf to wear to bed to avoid contact with pillow on that side :) Might help

Thank you I had wondered that. These are all points I will be going through with her. X

This post has really helped me I just had the exact same problem today! X

This post has really helped me I just had the exact same problem today! X

Was it a regular client? I've been back to mine yesterday and it's happened again even tho I spilt the bonds this time. I've noticed her hair is thinning all over even where there's no extensions. Turns out she's been in some silly crash diet, drinking only water all day. I've told her I'm removing them and not fitting anymore now. Hope you get to the bottom of yours, keep me posted x

Was it a regular client? I've been back to mine yesterday and it's happened again even tho I spilt the bonds this time. I've noticed her hair is thinning all over even where there's no extensions. Turns out she's been in some silly crash diet, drinking only water all day. I've told her I'm removing them and not fitting anymore now. Hope you get to the bottom of yours, keep me posted x

I've sent her a message today as she had a doctors appointment this afternoon to see if there was maybe a health problem as I'd said to her I thought it was either rough handling, the way she slept or that her hair simply just couldn't take the extra weight, she has fine hair anyway. I thought it was the way she slept or itching in her sleep as it was only a few at the back at the bottom of the scalp but I haven't heard back from her yet so god knows how it went with the docs. I'd like to know as it helps me for future ref. I removed them immediately as I just didn't want to take the risk of leaving them in, I didn't charge her either as I felt awful shed only had them in about 3 weeks! Will keep you up to date with what we find out though x

Latest posts

Back