Hair salon chair rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this so bare with me.
I own a very large tanning and beauty salon, and i own the property. Im looking for advice on salon chair rental, as i would like to convert our huge basement into a top class hair salon. I know very little about hair salons as such, so im keen to fit the space out with about 8 stations to start with (enough room for upto 12). I plan to spend around £60'000 on equipment and fittings, and need the salon to be very special as it is a basement (no shop front).
For rent, electricity and a shared receptionist, the rent will be around £100 per week. no stock supplied by me so stylists will sell there own stock.

Q1, how easy will i find it to get all chairs rented out ?. we are on a main high street, between Asda, Morrisons and B&Q, (very good location).

Q2, is there anyone out there doing this at the moment ?, and what unforeseeable problems will i find ?

Thanks if you can help.

1. Finding stylists to rent chairs is like searching for hen's teeth,
2. All self employed can walk off with any clients at any time.
3. The salon will have no clientelle/ goodwill of it's own for you to eventually sell,
4. You cannot enforce start/ finish times for chair renters, so could end up unstaffed at times.
5 at 100 quid a week per chair it is gonna take a bloody long time to get your 60 grand back.

Hi all, new to this so bare with me.
I own a very large tanning and beauty salon, and i own the property. Im looking for advice on salon chair rental, as i would like to convert our huge basement into a top class hair salon. I know very little about hair salons as such, so im keen to fit the space out with about 8 stations to start with (enough room for upto 12). I plan to spend around £60'000 on equipment and fittings, and need the salon to be very special as it is a basement (no shop front).
For rent, electricity and a shared receptionist, the rent will be around £100 per week. no stock supplied by me so stylists will sell there own stock.

Q1, how easy will i find it to get all chairs rented out ?. we are on a main high street, between Asda, Morrisons and B&Q, (very good location).

Q2, is there anyone out there doing this at the moment ?, and what unforeseeable problems will i find ?

Thanks if you can help.

I personally wouldn't salon rent a chair as I would have very little say as to when they leave and the time they walk through the door. I also think the salon managers structured instruction can break down with the staff who are renting the chair. It comes down to who's scratching whose back when renting I think.

1. Finding stylists to rent chairs is like searching for hen's teeth,
2. All self employed can walk off with any clients at any time.
3. The salon will have no clientelle/ goodwill of it's own for you to eventually sell,
4. You cannot enforce start/ finish times for chair renters, so could end up unstaffed at times.
5 at 100 quid a week per chair it is gonna take a bloody long time to get your 60 grand back.

Glad I read this thread as I'm helping set up a hair and beauty salon and I advised them to employ rather than rent.

With regards to renting if I can't get them to change their mind what is the going rate with everything included, they want to do a 60/40 split, is this reasonable?

If you are vat registered, you will end up with about 10% profit before tax if you give them 40% with stock included.
% splits only really work if you are not vat registered.

Latest posts

Back