Hair up/Bridal hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamper&Polish

Reaction score
Hi
Was just wondering do you have to be a fully qualified hairdresser to offer a hair up/ bridal hair service?

Legally, no.

I would point out that brides are often the most difficult and demanding clients. Would you be confident tackling a change of mind or a hissy fit without being used to handling hair?

It's one thing being able to do GHD curls or a messy bun, but it takes a lot of learning and practice to get perfect barrel curls, or pin a perfect french pleat so that it stays in position all day and evening.

In the olden days when I trained, we did 2 hours of hair up training a week for THREE years! Plus I was fortunate enough to work alongside some amazing hairdressers who were skilled in the subject.

The majority of hairdressers are uncomfortable with hair ups at the best of times.

Legally, no.

I would point out that brides are often the most difficult and demanding clients. Would you be confident tackling a change of mind or a hissy fit without being used to handling hair?

It's one thing being able to do GHD curls or a messy bun, but it takes a lot of learning and practice to get perfect barrel curls, or pin a perfect french pleat so that it stays in position all day and evening.

In the olden days when I trained, we did 2 hours of hair up training a week for THREE years! Plus I was fortunate enough to work alongside some amazing hairdressers who were skilled in the subject.

The majority of hairdressers are uncomfortable with hair ups at the best of times.

Thank you persianista for your quick response.

I wouldn't offer it straight away and would like to do some short courses...but was unsure if I had to be a qualified hairdresser first.
I do many brides as I do makeup and realise they can be demanding lol
I do feel I have a natural flare with hair up...just need to learn the technical side.
My mum is a hairdresser and has been for over 40 years and has no formal training because they didn't then...she only does the clients she still has for all those years ago lol

They didn't do "formal training" because they did proper apprentiships.

You Mum could probably teach you a million times more than a few short courses ever could.
Non-hairdressers I have spoken to have been really disappointed by them. One and two day wedding hair courses are ok for hairdressers who have an underpinning knowledge, and the ability to section and handle hair. For non hairdressers, they don't scratch the surface of the basic skills that you need to offer this service commercially.

My training in the subject, to get me to a BASIC level was approx 240 hours in that one subject.

Latest posts

Back