Hair won't lift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autumn07

Cosmetologist
Reaction score
Within the past year I noticed no matter what bleach or developer level I use my hair won't lift more than 2 levels. I'm a natural level 6 and used to be able to get to platinum in one application but now I have to do 3 applications on my new growth even with 30 or 40 volume developer and leaving the bleach on up to an hour with a cap or with heat. I've tried matrix, pravana, and recently switched to tigi true light after hearing good things but still the same issue? The lighteners work perfectly fine on other people i've used them with.

I would be interested in whats going on. You say its the natural hair that wont lift? And when you say "no matter bleach and developer" do you mean you've tried different levels of developer and different brands? How thick is your hair? What lightener did you use when you could get lift? I'f you're naturally a level 6 then level 8 is still quite a bit lighter.

I would be interested in whats going on. You say its the natural hair that wont lift? And when you say "no matter bleach and developer" do you mean you've tried different levels of developer and different brands? How thick is your hair? What lightener did you use when you could get lift? I'f you're naturally a level 6 then level 8 is still quite a bit lighter.
It's my natural hair, I've used matching developers with the brand and have tried different brand developers. My hair is thick but I make extra thin subsections. I originally used matrix light master but have switched a couple times since that stopped working and now none of them seem to. I know a level 8 is still decently lighter but my hair shouldn't only lift 2 levels with 30 volume bleach left on for an hour, or even the one time I tried 40 vol. I make sure the bleach stays saturated and doesn't dry out as well.

Sounds like your hair might be coated with silicone?
What products do you normally use on it?

It's my natural hair, I've used matching developers with the brand and have tried different brand developers. My hair is thick but I make extra thin subsections. I originally used matrix light master but have switched a couple times since that stopped working and now none of them seem to. I know a level 8 is still decently lighter but my hair shouldn't only lift 2 levels with 30 volume bleach left on for an hour, or even the one time I tried 40 vol. I make sure the bleach stays saturated and doesn't dry out as well.
I always thought developer started quicker and then slowed down with 30 and 40 vol and stayed more consistent with 20 vol.

Base 6 try 20vol you might be blowing the hair too quickly with high developers

Sounds like your hair might be coated with silicone?
What products do you normally use on it?
I always clarify my hair twice a couple days before bleaching or dying so I don't think that's the case

Base 6 try 20vol you might be blowing the hair too quickly with high developers
That's probably the case, I've tried 20 and it didn't do much but I didn't have the matching developer to the brand of bleach and usually my old stylist would use 30 volume so I've been doing that and have only tried 40 a couple times to see if that made any difference. I'll try 20 again with the proper developer thanks.

I always clarify my hair twice a couple days before bleaching or dying so I don't think that's the case

If it is a silicone build up, a clarifying shampoo won't be strong enough. You need a chelating shampoo as it's formulated to remove hard mineral deposits. However, only use it occasionally as it will strip your hair.

6% with bleach is always a winner with me x

Try Schwartzkopf with 7 vol, works like a charm, their up to 9

If it is a silicone build up, a clarifying shampoo won't be strong enough. You need a chelating shampoo as it's formulated to remove hard mineral deposits. However, only use it occasionally as it will strip your hair.
I always thought they were the same but guess not. Which one do you think is the best?

Joico and L’anza both do chelating shampoos.
They also have a clarifying shampoo so make sure it says chelating shampoo on the bottle.

Latest posts

Back