Hairdressers employed or self-employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruc123

Reaction score
Hi Im looking at opening a hair and beauty salon in durham area..but I can decide wether to employ a hairdresser or rent space for a hairdresser. If you were to rent what would you expect to pay and what would you want ie me to provide stock etc? also if there are any hairdressers out there wanting a space give me a buzz!:)

Hi

There is less risk for you during this financial climate if you rent a chair, down here in Wiltshire it's about £30 a day. Plus you wouldn't have to do paye etc... For this as they would so it all themselves!

However on the other hand if you employee someone and they have a big clientele then you can earn loads!

It really depends how much control you want too..in my experience 95% of chair/room rentals end up on a sour note!
If you do decide to go ahead, I would protect yourself and the renter by setting up a really strong contract so that the terms are clear from the start.. There are so many good threads on here to read about renting.. With views from both sides xxxx good luck with whatever you decide :-D

thankyou guys i think i will be employing...

I have both. From a perspective of building a business, you need to employ. My chair renters pay a flat rent each week (we are vat registered, so don't do %splits). While the bit of rent is a nice little extra, you couldn't cover shop overheads with it.
One of my renters is leaving as she doesn't think she should pay rent!!! After all in her mind mobile is overhead free (wait till she has to pay petrol)

My advice is to employ. Outsource your HR to a company like peninsula and use a payroll company. You can find payroll companies online which are really inexpensive.

If you only rent chairs, your salon will never have it's own clientele, which makes it valueless come sale time.

One of my renters is leaving as she doesn't think she should pay rent!!! After all in her mind mobile is overhead free (wait till she has to pay petrol)

LOL! There are definately less overheads but none?? She will find out soon enough.... The petrol costs are really beginning to impact my earnings! I really need to rethink my pricing structure...Quick!!!! Lol x

Latest posts

Back