Hairdressers massage advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca Rebecca

Reaction score
Hiya all hairdressers - I'm a nail tech hoping for some advice!! I'm looking to offer a little neck and head massage as a little added extra to all my clients that have nail services with me. I know I always loved it when I got my hair done - so thinking of doing the same. So my question is - do you have any kind of training you have to do first? Is this covered in your insurance? X

I didn't have training in head massage, we practiced on each other while washing our hair so everyone learned what people like and dislike and got into their own routine. However, you may be better off taking an Indian Head massage course as I'm guessing it's different with hair that's dry. My friend did this while learning beauty therapy and it feels lovely! Xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't have training in head massage, we practiced on each other while washing our hair so everyone learned what people like and dislike and got into their own routine. However, you may be better off taking an Indian Head massage course as I'm guessing it's different with hair that's dry. My friend did this while learning beauty therapy and it feels lovely! Xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Georgie thankyou for your reply. I did think about Indian head massage but as it's just a couple of minutes massage I want to give I don't know if I'd need to go down this route. So it sounds like I could offer a basic massage without any training? Any other views? X

Hi Georgie thankyou for your reply. I did think about Indian head massage but as it's just a couple of minutes massage I want to give I don't know if I'd need to go down this route. So it sounds like I could offer a basic massage without any training? Any other views? X

No, I don't think you should offer any supplementary services without proper training.
How will you know about contraindications or if what you do will exacerbate an existing medical condition? If you aren't trained and someone later says you caused them pain, (whether that's true or not) you won't be covered by your insurance.

No, I don't think you should offer any supplementary services without proper training.
How will you know about contraindications or if what you do will exacerbate an existing medical condition? If you aren't trained and someone later says you caused them pain, (whether that's true or not) you won't be covered by your insurance.
Yes I see your point - would it be an additional service though if I'm not charging for it ? I may ring my previous hairdressers and maybe ask them and maybe speak to the insurance company but I think you're right if anything happened I wouldn't be covered probably. I just can't imagine hairdressers have to do a course in it to offer it, but maybe it's still covered in their insurance and were maybe taught doing their hairdressing training as it's quite a usual addition to a hair treatment xx

Shampooing and head massage techniques (effleurage & petrissage) are probably the first units you have to get to grips with and pass in NVQ2 hairdressing training. :)

Latest posts

Back