Hairdressing council - state registered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEA91

Reaction score
Are any of you state registered hairdressers? I believe so strongly about regulating this industry and was horrified to hear we are the only country with no regulation and people with no training can just open up a salon and charge ridiculous prices, putting us out of pocket who can charge more because we've had the correct training and experience.
The hairdressing council have been so helpful for me. I became state registered and realised there was only 3 hairdressers in my town who were out of about 30 salons and god knows how many freelance.
They helped me by promoting my business and I also got invited to the House of Commons lunch where they said they only lost out by 2 votes last year in order for it becoming compulsory.
I did speak to someone and asked about the quality of hairdressing. Someone who has just come out of college with no salon experience can register. Is that right? However she said they need everyone on their side whilst campaigning for it, and until then is when they can get the standards made higher.
We need all wholesalers to only sell to trade customers and not the public and make our equipment difficult for the public to get hold of. I was horrified to hear they only have one wholesalers on their side which is Aston & Fincher. Sally's, capitals and all the rest need to support this campaign.

I looked into this but would not pay £39 per year for the privilege. I think it should be a one off fee as once you are qualified you will always be qualified. :biggrin:

Too many variables I'm afraid. Older hairdressers have C&G certs, or even apprentiship papers, whereas you can do an NVQ in about 24 days at college. And what about the non hairdresser extensionists? They argue that they are hair professionals too.
So we're down to anyone who has done one day of training can be a hair pro. What exactly would be the point of that?

Too many variables I'm afraid. Older hairdressers have C&G certs, or even apprentiship papers, whereas you can do an NVQ in about 24 days at college. And what about the non hairdresser extensionists? They argue that they are hair professionals too.
So we're down to anyone who has done one day of training can be a hair pro. What exactly would be the point of that?

As far as I am aware there are different categories to differentiate between what level of training you have. I do think the industry needs regulating but also agree that a yearly fee seems a bit much! :)

It's just a money making exercise. Unless they stipulate training hours, like they do in the states, then every one dayer and his dog can pay £39 to say they're a hair professional.
After having a twelve year old from HABIA tell me at a hair show that my C&G mastercraftsman cert wasn't good enough, and I should consider doing an NVQ2, I don't have much faith in hairdressing bodies. (She wasn't twelve, just looked it)
They've been saying it for the last 30 years, and nothing happened.

It would be fab. I'd even pay every year.

But as said there's so many qualifications. Plus most college nvq 2 leavers know jack. So really should we all be classed the same?

Maybe there should be a test/practice to show competence level, but it'd just go the way of the colleges. If they pass you they get money.

Sad but true

What happens to hairdressers with no quals at all but who've worked in the industry for 20+ years? I'd like to know? (Not me but just in general)

From what I read you would not be able to register

From what I read you would not be able to register

So where would that leave them? Is it just not on the register or would they not be able to continue hairdressing untill they get some qualifications? Because if it's just not on the register I'm guessing there must be thousands of hairdressers that wouldn't be? So there's no point enforcing it if not everyone has to be registered? Lol it's so confusing x

Oh my gosh, I would never dream of doing someone's hair if I didn't know what I was doing! How can you possibly do a treatment without having the training? I wonder how many people realise that this is the case.

Oh my gosh, I would never dream of doing someone's hair if I didn't know what I was doing! How can you possibly do a treatment without having the training? I wonder how many people realise that this is the case.

It's not a case of not having the training it's a case of not having the piece of paper to say you've had the training. As others have mentioned I'm sure there are experienced hairdressers out there who have trained in different ways with years of experience and know their job like the back of their hand. But because they haven't got the 'correct' piece of paper this invalidates them. X

Years ago we didn't have NVQs. Before we had C&G, and before that, we just had apprentiship papers.
Someone who had papers for a 3-5 year apprentiship is not 'unqualified' or ignorant just because it doesn't have NVQ written on it. Our training was so much better and more thorough back then!

Oh okay I just had visions of people starting doing hairdressing without anything and cutting and colouring lol. Obviously if some have done an apprenticeship or have been trained by someone and don't have the papers it's different. X :)

I was state registered because my old job paid for it, I haven't renewed it. I believe there is a thing that has experience over qualifications.

I did an apprenticeship but no level 3 ( you just didn't do level 3 when I trained- you qualified then made some money!), so their was a tick box of 'NVQ 2 plus 5 years experience' or something that then over took being 'level 3 qualified'.

When I became an assessor it was the same, my boss didn't have any NVQ they offered her a 6 week course just to get a certificate.

As much as I agree with most peoples opinions, I think that being registered should be free of charge as we have so much to pay for already.

I certainly agree that wholesale should be trade only. Like Aston and Fincher and ellisons that need insurance certificates.

I had to register with Leicester council to carry on trading in my shop so I'm not sure what that's for might compliance with HS but I'm now 125 pounds lighter.

From what I was told at Leicester college is that just as long as you have the legal qualification for the time of your training, then you are classed as qualified. And they prefer to sell courses as an add on to your existing experience not to people who think a 6 week course is all it takes to be a hairdresser.

It seems unfair that older hairdressers or hairdressers who've done it since school leaving and have no quals should have to pay to get a piece of paper to be on a "register"? I'm not sure how this is going to be implemented fairly at all, obviously people who have trained recently all have "paper" certificates to give to insurers or trade only warehouses like astons but there are so many loopholes? Anyone could and can go into a warehouse and say for example I work for kahuna hair and if I've got an account they'd be sold goods, same goes with regulating people, they could just say oh I've done this job for 20 years but have no quals but only picked up a scissors yesterday? Does anyone know if this registration is going to be forced? I'm not pleased at all about having to pay it should be free! The membership is in tiers too you could end up forking out a fortune!

I went to Barber Connect in May and spoke to them about it then. Those who have been actively working as a hairdresser for more than 10 years can state register, they just need someone of authority to verify them.

Latest posts

Back