Hairdressing Diploma City and Guilds, Level 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softsofa

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to go back to college and I've found this course which is run two evenings a week for 31 weeks. Basically I'm hoping anyone can tell me what they think about thus course. I used to work in a salon as a junior when I was 16-17 but had to leave. I am unable to go and work in a salon as an apprentice as I have childcare problems for the day at the moment.

This course covers all aspects of hair care and prepares students for a career in hair salons.

This is ideal for students who have completed Level 1 Hairdressing. It’s also suitable for more mature students looking for a new career.

Succesful students will:
be good at working with their hands
be creative and artistic
have good communication skills
be able to work quickly and neatly
enjoy working with people
be interested in fashion and grooming.
Monday, September 3 2012
30 Weeks, Tuesday & Wednesday 6pm-9pm

Much of the coursework is practical, working in the college salons training to become competent in male/female hairdressing. Theory is covered in order to assist and support the practical work. Flexible learning techniques are used to deliver theory, which include learning packages, group work, projects/assignments, demonstrations and videos.

All students will study the following:

• reception/retail*
• consultation/diagnosis
• shampooing and conditioning
• health, safety & hygiene*
• cutting hair
• style dress and finish hair
• colour*
• retail promotions.

All students must purchase relevant kit from the Hairdressing department prior to the start of the course. Costs will be discussed at enrolment and during the college induction. Students will be required to carry out treatments on the general public who book in as clients at our reception area. All students must display a positive attitude, be prepared to work as part of a team and have excellent attendance.

All students must wear the college uniform, which is:

• Long smart black trousers (purchased by student).
• College tunic (purchased from the department).
• Low heeled full black smart shoes (purchased by student).
• Students will be required to remove all visible jewellery including facial piercing during all practical sessions (due to awarding body requirements) and have short nails with no nail polish.

Mobile phones must not be accessed in classrooms and salons unless permission has been sought from the course coordinator.

If the above is not adhered to you will be asked to leave the salons.

A certain level of manual dexterity will be required for this course.
Returning students must have an NVQ Level 1 qualification in their chosen course. Students must be able to work effectively with others and be willing to carry out and receive all treatments. You will also be required to carry out treatments on male clients. All students must display a positive attitude, be prepared to work as part of a team and have excellent attendance.

Assessment is by practical observation, oral questioning, case studies, written essential knowledge papers. End examinations set by the examination awarding body will take place later in the course. An internal/external verifier will assess all portfolio evidence and practical skills.
Level 2 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing (C&G).
This is a nationally recognised qualification. Students who successfully complete Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing may progress to the Level 3*NVQ qualification in Hairdressing or Barbering.
This course will enhance employment prospects and provides scope for employment in Hairdressing Salons, Hair/Beauty Consultancies or as a Sales Person.

Could you all please let me know
If you think this course sounds worthwhile.
Thank you all :) xxx

The vourse I'm doing is C&G NVQ level 2 diploma in ladies hairdressing. I'm half way through this. My college runs it one night a week over two years. I'll be starting my second yesr in September.

I'm really enjoying it but it is hard going as your only in college for such a short amount of time you have to practice and go over your theory at home. There is quite a lot of assignments but so far we have learnt & completed our assessments on blow drys, sets, plaiting & braiding. We have started colouring & cutting.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks for replying! Did you have to pay for your course? If you did how much was it about? I can blowdry and do basic cutting and colouring but I don't have a the qualification i need. Im hoping I'll be able to manage I've got lots of willing people for me to do their hair but I won't do anything except blowdryig untill I start the course :)

Yes I had to pay but I got my fees half price apart from the registration few because I get working tax credits and my income is below £16,000. My first year few was £156 and this years is £60.

The fees aren't too bad but my kit was £250 and my tunic was £25. We are allowed to wear black trousers because we are part time.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thats good! I've just spoken to the college and it's £685 Anne I don't have to pay all at once! Absolutely made up

I'm doing this course over 2 evenings Monday and weds. I can't do a full time course as I have to work and with kids they have to be a school and picked up at a certain time. I start September. Obviously it's going to be a lot harder as Will only be part time but will work my socks off.

So excited and need September to hurry up :) I think with my college it's £805 but I'm just going to pay it off all at once to get it out of the way. I get told all about my kit etc when I go in on the 21st August. :) x

I'm so excited now too! I don't suppose you know if the diploma is nvq level 2? It's all so confusing the titles that they use!

I heard on another thread that the nvq is being changed to diploma. That's was march last year, I don't know how true it is but in my college you have nvq, diploma and vrq. I can do the vrq level 3 hair next year after I complete my level 2.

Its so confusing, I'm going to ring my college tomorrow and find out. On the nvq day course it teaches you exactly the same as the level 2 diploma so I really don't know :/

I have my interview with the college this afternoon. To discuss the course etc. Do I just wear normal clothes? Excited now :)

basically colleges are beginning to phase out nvqs and replace them with diplomas or vrqs. I finished my level 2 city and guilds diploma this year. Its because nvqs are for apprenticeships and are therefore work based. You still learn the same stuff though.

Does the NVQ2 and diploma still mean you can work in a salon once you are qualified?

Latest posts

Back