Hairdressing NVQ level 1 college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_mai

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been fitting hair extensions for almost 3 years now and love it!!
Although no matter what anyone says i feel the fact i am not a hairdressers fails me a little!
Iv really struggled to find a hairdressing course to do that i work around my full time job in the evenings and isnt one of those silly fast track courses. seriously who can learn all this stuff in a week!!??:irked:
Anyway at last iv found someone who does level 1 hairdressing on a evening for 36 weeks, so happy happy :D
Just a question for the hair extensions/hairdressing experts. Do you think i am right in starting from the bottom and working my way up. Will learning hairdressing make me a better hair extension technician?
I know that they say cutting extensions is different to normal hair which i why i asked? but its simple things like learning how to wash hair properly and blow dry. Would i expect to learn this?

thanks so much
love a jolly litte geek!! x

It is a good idea to learn the rest of hairdressing, so I would say definitely do it. However, will the college let you start at level 2? You could save money by skipping level 1.

You'll learn about cutting, styling, colouring, perming, etc. I think it will help with your hair extension services, and you'll be able to offer other hairdressing services on top of them.

I agree, level 1 is pretty basic and usually offered to students who have few or no gcse's, if you can get into level 2 I def would u'll save urself a lot of time!

If you do extensions then yes, I would def get your hairdressing qualifications. It means you can offer a full service rather than just a fitting and increases clients confidence in you.

Good luck :) xx

Thank you guys!
well this is what im debating.. i searched a thread on here and it was mixed reviews. Some ppl saying everyone should need to do level 1 and you shouldnt skip and others saying the same as you that its very basic and a waste of money..im a tad confused :-s
i may ring the college and see what they suggest, but it does say requirements level 1!

x

Thank you guys!
well this is what im debating.. i searched a thread on here and it was mixed reviews. Some ppl saying everyone should need to do level 1 and you shouldnt skip and others saying the same as you that its very basic and a waste of money..im a tad confused :-s
i may ring the college and see what they suggest, but it does say requirements level 1!

x

When you do your level two it covers level one aswell, which is just basic shampooing, health and safety, customer care etc x

Hi I did level 1 was a complete waste of time go straight on to level 2 if u can x

thank you girls! Its more the money issue to be honest. I dont want to waste £600 if its not worth the money! i just hope the college let me go straight to level 2 xx

I didn't even do my level one and I had no hairdressing experience. I was put on level one and got moved up as it was for people to get there English an maths gcses. I did my level 2 and I'm in a salon now doing clients as I do my level 3 and feel confident with it!! Try as hard as u can not to do L1 and just do L2

The first course I did was called " level 2 hairdressing" it was a two year course and at the end of year one I had my level one and the end of year two my level two, I'm not 100% sure of the material taught in level one but I'm pretty sure you could go straight into level two.

I don't feel level 1 is necessary but I do think level 2/3 are

When I started hairdressing in England, I started at level 2. Completely skipped level 1. From what I saw of students doing level 1, it was very, very basic, and I would have hated doing it myself. I definitely recommend trying to get straight onto level 2 if you can! Good luck.

I also started hairdressing by doing level 2, I thought I might struggle because I had no hairdressing experience but I loved it :)
As other posters have said, its definitely worth trying to grt onto a level 2 course if you can.
Good luck!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Totally agree with what everyone has said. I am 32 and changed my career recently going into hairdressing from accounts eeekk!!! I have always been interested in hair and beauty and wanted something that I could work around my children and my health. Therefore I chose to completely change my career and go into hairdressing and I went straight in at L2.

It covered the basics like washing and blow drying as well as health and safety and customer care and attention, but also colouring and perming and it is a much more all round course to do for hair.

I would definitely recommend L2 especially as you already have customers from doing extensions so you must have customer care and know about health and safety and so going into L2 would indeed save you time and money :D

This is making me feel a bit annoyed now ... Not anyone's fault obv lol! But I thought you had to start at level 1... I'm going to college full time and I am starting at level 1, I am confident already with applying tint, foils, some styling - all just from practice and self taught and also trained in extensions etc so know some basics. I am going to college for 2 years to do level 1&2 but would like to do level 3 also... But don't have the money to finance myself out of college for 3 years!!

I start in August and I am now a bit miffed about doing level 1 xx

This is making me feel a bit annoyed now ... Not anyone's fault obv lol! But I thought you had to start at level 1... I'm going to college full time and I am starting at level 1, I am confident already with applying tint, foils, some styling - all just from practice and self taught and also trained in extensions etc so know some basics. I am going to college for 2 years to do level 1&2 but would like to do level 3 also... But don't have the money to finance myself out of college for 3 years!!

It's not too late to change then! :) I would ask the college if you can start at level 2 and if not, see if you can find somewhere else near you that will take you at level 2.

My course is actually called NQ year 1??

I've now mailed the college to find out as the website doesn't mention year 2 to apply for.. Just that you progress from year 1 to year2, and hnc once passed year 2 x

Your level 2 is over two years but I don't my level one In one year and the level 2 in one year maybe you could ask about that?

Your level 2 is over two years but I don't my level one In one year and the level 2 in one year maybe you could ask about that?

I'm assuming it depends on each college ? I spoke to a girl I know that went to the college I'm going to and she said she wouldn't suggest skipping level 1 as it covers cutting and colouring aswell and in level 2 she had classmates that had worked in salons but not been to college and they struggled coz they didn't know the basics from year 1?xx

Thanks for everyones input! after reading everyones comments i spoke to the college and they didnt even try talk me out of it. They told me i could go straight to level 2!
Im so glad i asked the question now or i would of wasted £500 :eek:
Im sooooo soooo excited xxx

Thanks for everyones input! after reading everyones comments i spoke to the college and they didnt even try talk me out of it. They told me i could go straight to level 2!
Im so glad i asked the question now or i would of wasted £500 :eek:
Im sooooo soooo excited xxx

Aw that's lucky !! Happy for you! I've spoke to my college and they've said my interviewer would have put me into year 2 if she felt it was necessary.. And the course is alot more intense than most level 1 courses are.. Learning shampooing, head massaging, blow drying, 4 cutting techniques, setting a perm, hair ups, styling and foils etc :) which most colleges don't do in the first year apparently?xx

Latest posts

Back