Hampshire Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharan

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I've always wanted to move to be nearer to the coast and I love Dorset, however, after much discussion, my husband and I have settled on Hampshire, as it's not as far from either of our families.

After doing research on properties, Southampton was coming up as good value for money, compared to other parts of the UK and a good quality of life.

I would really love to hear the opinions and any other advice from some of you living/have lived in Hampshire. I'm not keen on the idea of living in the city, but would love to be on the outskirts, where it's affordable but lovely all the same.

I know there's good and bad in all areas, but wheres a nice family area to live? Not too far from shops etc, good schools (no kids yet, just planning ahead), probably closer to the Bournemouth side than Portsmouth. Not too quiet either though.

Anyone know what Totton is like? Seen some good priced properties there. Romsey seems lovely, although a little more expensive.

Anything you can tell me about any area/areas near Southampton would be very welcome. I am hoping to make a trip up to Hampshire this weekend, just for a general look around and get a feel for the place :)

I live In new milton which isn't far from Southampton but never lived southampton so can't comment good luck on your house hunt x

I've lived in southampton all my life! I love it here, shopping is great, right near the new Forest and close to lots of beaches. Personally I've never lived in totton but I know people that do and like it. Depends what you are looking for in property/land/schools/distance from city
Centre.'xxx

Totton is nice for families - I worked there a few years ago. There's not much (any) nightlife there and the pubs used to be a bit rough. This is going back a few years mind. So it may have changed. You'll get annoyed with the roadworks too - they're constantly digging up the causeway!

Romsey is nice too. Like you say more expensive.

Pick up a copy of the local property paper when you're down and you may get a few more ideas.

I've lived in southampton all my life! I love it here, shopping is great, right near the new Forest and close to lots of beaches. Personally I've never lived in totton but I know people that do and like it. Depends what you are looking for in property/land/schools/distance from city
Centre.'xxx

Thanks Sarah.

Where abouts in Southampton are you?

Totton is nice for families - I worked there a few years ago. There's not much (any) nightlife there and the pubs used to be a bit rough. This is going back a few years mind. So it may have changed. You'll get annoyed with the roadworks too - they're constantly digging up the causeway!

Romsey is nice too. Like you say more expensive.

Pick up a copy of the local property paper when you're down and you may get a few more ideas.

Thank you KayaPapaya. Is there any other nice areas for families around Southampton? Up to about 30 mins drive into City centre.

Definitely picking up the paper :)

Lymington but that might be a bit far out.

The other side of course Netley, Hamble or Bishops Waltham.

There's also Hedge End (j7 M27) which isn't too dissimilar from Totton. I prefer Totton though (Calmore is also family orientated)

I live 3 miles ( ish ) from lymington and it's lovely x

I live in upper Shirley (if you live here the upper bits important!) I'm a 10/15 min drive from the city centre! If I had pots of money I'd move to the new forest, but it costs a bomb! X

Like anywhere you get good parts and not so good parts, Botley is lovely, I lived there for over 20 years. I've also lived and worked in Romsey, and am looking eventually to go into Curdridge, Burrage or Curbridge. Hedge End has Grange Park which is one of the larger more affluent estates, it has a train station, shops and schools all within a five minute drive, along with the largest M&S in the country. I have just left Grange Park as it is mainly for families with small children, I'm past that.

Thank you ladies, you have been most helpful! :)

I live in hamble and it's really lovely and quiet.

We have a couple commons for people to walking on etc, local pebble beach and lots of yachts!

I live in hamble and it's really lovely and quiet.

We have a couple commons for people to walking on etc, local pebble beach and lots of yachts!

How funny. I'm often found at Hamble Marina.. Usually in Banana Wharf. Small world.

We normally go to mercury marina or The bugle.

Live in hamble square x

We normally go to mercury marina or The bugle.

Live in hamble square x

I like the River Rat in Hamble they do some nice food in there. Many years ago I worked in the white hart..ha ha 20 years ago in fact!

I live very close to Manor Farm Country Park, if you're not sure where that is it's not far from Busledon Tesco's. (the biggest landmark I could think of but probably not the best! )

Latest posts

Back