Hands and feet itch like mad when bleaching my hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fakeblonde

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a dark brunette but I've been rocking blonde for over a year now. I absolutely love it. I go once every month and a half to get my roots touched up. The burning sensation is something I'm used to.

However, I noticed that during the last three visits or so, my hands and feet have itched like CRAZY while I'm getting it done. I told my stylist but he said he wasn't sure why, but I have a feeling that it might be an allergic reaction.

I really want to continue my blonde phase for a bit longer, but I'm also worried about my skin... is there anything I can have my stylist do to avoid this?

Or would maybe taking some antihistamine before help?
Thank you for any advice in advance!

It might be an allergic reaction or it could be psychosomatic when your body experiences a physical reaction to an imagined threat.

Did he do a skin test before the service?
This is where a small amount of tint is put behind your ear or elbow to check for any reactions before carrying out the service. It's usually done about 48 hours beforehand.

Usually after a lightening service, you will need to add a toner and you might be allergic to the toner he's used. I have reactions when I use certain brands of tint but I'm completely fine with other brands. It's quite normal.

However, if he's not doing any skin testing at all, find another colourist who routinely does them.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
Oh, so you've experienced this kind of reaction as well then?

I've never had a skin test done by him or any other stylist. It might not be a common practice here in Japan. I think I'll ask him to do one though!

And thanks for the response. I'm sitting here with ungodly roots, and have been hesitant to go back.

Oh, so you've experienced this kind of reaction as well then?

I've never had a skin test done by him or any other stylist. It might not be a common practice here in Japan. I think I'll ask him to do one though!

And thanks for the response. I'm sitting here with ungodly roots, and have been hesitant to go back.

Is it during the lightening process or the toning process ?

The last few times I've had my roots done I experience itchiness and the dreaded burning sensation and end up with a blistered scalp, although last time this was due to my time of the month happening that day and my skin being sensitive !

I'm going to try antihistamines the night before and the morning of me getting it done next time, in the hope that helps :) x

Can I just mention, if you are all suffering like this, why oh why are you continuing to get this application done?

More so to the lady who has ended up with a blistering scalp! The moment you noticed burning, your stylist should of Gotton you to the basin and removed it instantly. I've seen blistering in my time from tearful clients running in from another salon and it has scared them for life, bald patches that will never grow back.

2 things here, if a bleach application is blistering your scalp or burning in anyway, it's probably due to a high % of peroxide or a bleach used which is not meant for scalp application!

Do any of you know what was used?

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I just mention, if you are all suffering like this, why oh why are you continuing to get this application done?

More so to the lady who has ended up with a blistering scalp! The moment you noticed burning, your stylist should of Gotton you to the basin and removed it instantly. I've seen blistering in my time from tearful clients running in from another salon and it has scared them for life, bald patches that will never grow back.

2 things here, if a bleach application is blistering your scalp or burning in anyway, it's probably due to a high % of peroxide or a bleach used which is not meant for scalp application!

Do any of you know what was used?

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's been igora bleach and 30vol used on me before when it's blistered, but as I say it has only happened when my skin has been sensitive due to my time of the month..

And it's yet to scare me off as I love my blonde hair too much and hate roots so won't go back to getting highlights haha ! Terrible I know but it's tiny ones that I can deal with.. I have said to my stylist that if it happens again next time then I will go back to highlights .. But I am going to make sure I'm not on my bad week and take antihistamines to help prevent it xx

Latest posts

Back