Has anybody taken on a college work placement girl?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenrose

Reaction score
Has anybody taken on a college student for their work placement?

Just wondering whats involved and what I would need to do etc?

Someone called me today asking if they can do their work placement at my salon. But Im unsure so I said I would call them back.
Do they have to do treatments or are they just there to help out and observe what a salon environment is like?

Thanks xx

I haven't as I am mobile, but there is another thread about this kind of situation! Personally I had bad work experience (15 ot do years ago) where I was expected to just clean hairspray off of chairs with meths! And get lunch, make tea and clean up after everyone! I learned nothing! I think students should be allowed to observe and do treatment on colleagues, but tidying up is part of the job so they should do that too! But they should be getting some practical and product knowledge! After all if they are good u may want to employ them at a later date! But students should not be seen as unpaid skivvies! Which I'm sure doesn't happen these days! Hope this helps x

And I was studying beauty and not hair!!!

Hi, I have had a few work experience girls in my hair salon from the college my apprentices go to. In my experience they are usually nice girls but they are often behind in their abilities compared to full timers and though they want to learn, they can be a bit timid. Also because they are only in one day a week it can take a while for them to settle in. The most I would let them do is general junior stuff but fully supervised at first. I can only tell you my experience and once in the salon if you give them a lot of support they do improve. I would say give one a try and see how it goes. x

Thanks! I may give it a go! I run the beauty side and my colleage runs the hair side. We dont have a junior at all and Im usually turning clients away as cant fit them all in so I could get her to help with simple things like tinting and leg waxing etc!
I will phone her back today :green:

I done it last and the girl was lovely she mostly observes treatments and asks question and some reception duties so it went that well so I decided to go for it again this year this week will be her third and it's all going good she's lovely xxx

Hi,

Ive got two coming to me, one in May the other in June.

I'm planning on letting her observe on most of my clients but if I've got any of my sisters or very very close friends booked in then I will ask them if she can have a little go on them for a couple of treatments.

Ive also booked in their mums for one session with the idea of doing something on them ( they are clients of mine anyway) that I cant let them do on a client.

Im also intending to make sure that there is some ordering and accounts to do whilst she is here.

I personally wouldn't want to get them here then just get them cleaning and just watching I would find this terminally boring so trying to get organised so it is enjoyable for them and hopefully at the same time they will learn something (ignite their fire and passion for the industry :))

H xx

Hi,

Ive got two coming to me, one in May the other in June.

I'm planning on letting her observe on most of my clients but if I've got any of my sisters or very very close friends booked in then I will ask them if she can have a little go on them for a couple of treatments.

Ive also booked in their mums for one session with the idea of doing something on them ( they are clients of mine anyway) that I cant let them do on a client.

Im also intending to make sure that there is some ordering and accounts to do whilst she is here.

I personally wouldn't want to get them here then just get them cleaning and just watching I would find this terminally boring so trying to get organised so it is enjoyable for them and hopefully at the same time they will learn something (ignite their fire and passion for the industry :))

H xx

Best answer so far! They will be more than happy with this! Very good idea to get them to practice on close friends/family too! :) x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

IMO there are very limited opportunities for college students who are looking for placements because most salons assume that they are only able to do a few treatments and only at a very basic level.

As with everything in life, there are people who take to things more easily than others but this is sometimes forgotten and girls aren't given the opportunity to prove themselves as therapists because of the 'college' stigma.

I found it incredibly hard to get a placement for my L2 last year despite being more than capable! Once I had been successful, my skills impressed and I was offered part time employment almost immediately. I'm finding it even harder this year to get a placement for my L3 despite already being L2 qualified with bags of practice and extra training (paid for by myself outside of college). Its so frustrating!

I'm a little older than most of the girls on my course and I think this helps a little but am still finding it difficult to find someone who will let me show them that I am a talented therapist with loads of potential! xx

Latest posts

Back