Has anyone gone into hairdressing later in life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 30 starting level 3 on Monday!!!

Finding it tough to get a job though!!!!

I started at 22 & never looked back. I'm 34 now & am full up with appointments (I'm part time now after having my daughters) both days 😊

Always be happy 😊💜

Always quite fancied it from school went into beauty at around 26 and now nearly 30 and considering hairdressing. I have no commitments so no better time but is it harder to get into the industry a bit later? X

Read the first post but not the responses. I wish I had started later in life. I wasnt mature enough when i started. I didnt take beauty school seriously and didnt understand when someone was trying to screw me in the work place. It has taken me some time to relearn everything and understand that I dont have to believe everything I hear.

Your never too old !

im starting level 2 fast track in 3 weeks time and im 30 years old in jan,i wish i did it earlier

miranda x

i agree that you are never too old to learn but trying to get your first job after qualifying is a lot harder when you're older due to higher nmw.

i volunteer in a salon to gain some experience and this has proved invaluable. Many of the other ladies on my course intend to work mobile once qualified but i know i certainly wouldn't feel anywhere near confident enough to do that with just the training alone.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I'm 27 and I am not a hairdresser. I applied to many many hairdressers who were looking trainees and because of my age couldn't get anything but eventually I found a salon willing to take me on!! I'm a MUA though so that helps as she is going to look into doing makeup/hair wedding packages.

I start on 10th September...I'm over the moon as now I can start my college course and the salon owner has promised to train me up also. I know I am so lucky to have got this opportunity and I'm going to put everything I have in to it!

go for it!! i decided at 23 to do it, my nan was a hairdresser for 50 years she had retired now at 71 but she still does the odd clients at home. she proved to me there is no limits to what you can do.

on my college course the best student in our class was 55 and she was amazing. the salon i work in 1 day a week, im the youngest at 23 the other 2 who work there are 38 and 45. we all chose to do it later on and i feel we are all better hairdressers for it.

The only flaw i feel i have is that is that maybe im too cautious. some of the other younger girls on the course would love re styles ect but for me i thought more abouth the risk * what if they hated it and told all there friends * what if i lose my confidence ect
but again i would rather be over cautious and take my time, make sure you fully understand what they want to get the best outcome.

hairdressing is soo creative and rewarding. go for it!!!

Latest posts

Back