Has anyone nailed chrome and got it to last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
It's everywhere but mostly what I've read are issues with either application or with it coming off.

It's put me off somewhat lol but would love to offer it

Has anyone got a definitive guide to applying so it looks great AND doesn't wear off please? Thank you! Xxx

Not sure it's a definitive guide, but I've got one chrome and one holochrome nail on each hand, and not had any wear after 8 days... here are my nails as of this afternoon:

Holo 8 days in.jpg

This is what I did and the products I used:

Chrome nail:
1 x Shellac base coat
1 x Shellac Original top coat (added for strength - those are my natural nails)
2 x Shellac Safety Pin
1 x Shellac Original Top Coat
Remove tacky layer with dry lint free wipe - I didn't scrub too hard, just wiped a couple of times.
Apply Magpie Tiara with eyeshadow applicator, and burnish to a shine
2 x thin Shellac Original TC to seal, capping the free edge thoroughly on both layers

Holochrome nail:
1 x iLac base coat
1 x Fortify (again, added for strength)
3 x iLac i-84, True Blue
1 x iLac Rock top coat
Remove tacky layer with dry lint free wipe
Apply Spectraprism with eyeshadow applicator, and burnish to a shine
2 x thin iLac Rock top coat to seal, capping the free edge thoroughly on both layers

I've had no luck using the no wipe top coats, kept peeling after a couple of days, I'm on day 5 though using shellac....
base, 2 colour coats, top coat ( not express 5) dry wipe lint free pad, apply chrome powder, 2 top coats

I've used magpie Tiara and colour shack altered state chrome with no wipe top coats that lasted without any chipping or peeling.
I have glitterarty holo chrome but yet to try it as chrome posts are everywhere. I'm feeling all chromed out lol.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471386653.635917.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471386673.133620.jpg

Been trying to nail the "chrome" nails to no avail.
Any tips appreciated
Xx

I'm interested in what soak off time is like for you ladies when you have upwards of 3 topcoats layers in total with the Chrome? Any comments?

I've done chrome nails over Acrylic loads, so removal is just filing off as usual, but not done any on natural nails and imagine it would be a long soak.

I'm wondering if the girls using no wipe top coat are having success on acrylics only & the peeling happens on natural nails?

I'm interested in what soak off time is like for you ladies when you have upwards of 3 topcoats layers in total with the Chrome? Any comments?

I've done chrome nails over Acrylic loads, so removal is just filing off as usual, but not done any on natural nails and imagine it would be a long soak.
I gave mine a light buff with a soft buffer then removal, soaked off no problem on natural nails

I wondered that too. I would expect it to take twice as long to soak off surely.

I was thinking of charging an extra £5-6 for chrome if I do introduce it, sounds like it should be at least that if it's going to take ages to get off.

I wouldn't soak for longer, just buff off more

I wondered that too. I would expect it to take twice as long to soak off surely.

I was thinking of charging an extra £5-6 for chrome if I do introduce it, sounds like it should be at least that if it's going to take ages to get off.

In my experience the first soak goes through the two top coats and chome but doesn't quite reach the top coat before chrome. So I've been buffing off topcoats and chrome down to top coat then soaking as usual. It's taking longer but not massively, gel polish is so easy to file through it's not a massive different.

It took me a couple of clients to work it out. I soaked as usual, topcoat and chrome came away and there was a perfectly shiny totally unaffected finished nail underneath, I was a little confused. I think the warm weather isn't helping either, the remover is evaporating before having chance to get to the next layer of topcoat.

Trinity (if you're back) how do you do your chrome nsils and how long does the chrome last?

I get good results that last by doing base coat x1 colour coat x2 then a thin layer of no wipe top coat, powder then two layers of original shellac top coat and I never get any problems

I get good results that last by doing base coat x1 colour coat x2 then a thin layer of no wipe top coat, powder then two layers of original shellac top coat and I never get any problems
Sounds good jazzybean. What chrome powder are you using with that? X

What chrome powders and top coats are you ladies using to get this to work?
I have bought a couple now and used a few different top coats, tacky & no wipe, and cannot get this to work.

Help appreciated :) got client's asking for it.

Yes I agree little dragon, I have too but scared to start offering as it seems a bit of can of worms [emoji15]

What no wipe top coat are you ladies using ? Thanks

Hi all, i'm just getting back into the nail profession. can you use any gel system to do the chrome effect? I see a lot of people referring to shellac. can you use gelish/acg etc?

Hi all, i'm just getting back into the nail profession. can you use any gel system to do the chrome effect? I see a lot of people referring to shellac. can you use gelish/acg etc?

apparently your supposed to be able to apply it to any non wipe top coat but alot of people including myself cannot get it to work. And those that can get it to work don't seem to want to share which chrome they have purchased and where from, or what top coat they are using either. Best of luck, trial and error really x

I can't say that I've nailed the chrome trend, but I was curious one night and tried Magpie Dust Gloria over INK London xLac Blue Jazz, which failed miserably. After applying a coat of Gel II No Wipe Top Coat it worked reasonably well. I tried an eye shadow applicator, silicon tool, but found what worked best was just using my finger, not sure I'd want to do that on a client though! :)

None of my clients have asked for it and frankly I like looking at the photos online, but I'm not rushing to board the chrome/holo/unicorn train.

Latest posts

Back