Has how you look ever affected you in the workplace?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People definitely get judged by appearance.

I used to work in a very big salon. Lots of stylists but 2 girls both the same age (21) really got judged on looks.

One was a fantastic hairdresser and really lovely bubbly girl. But she never really done much with her own hair and her make up and clothes were quite plain and a bit old fashioned.

The other was really not a good hairdresser at all. But she had her hair different all the time, always had her make up done and wore lovely clothes. She was so self centered its untrue I don't think her clients got a word in it was always me me me.

Anyway the better hairdresser was always quiet (bar her few loyal clients) and the one who wasn't good was always busy as people thought she looks like that so must be good.

Lynne, thats a lovely photo! Them disciplining you for that seems like they should discipline someone with Rapunzle length hair too!!

Leanne
X

It's so ridiculous, it's not like I stand out horrifically or something, I just look like an average, boring person haha but I definitely get the vibe that it's my appearance that puts employers off, I'm not sure if interviewers are intimidated by me or jealous in some way? All interviewers have all been female at that, I know that sounds awful & I don't even like saying it but I'm pretty sure that if an interviewer had been a man then they would have been a success! The only feedback I've had from an interview is that they 'wanted to see more of 'me'' which is a ridiculous excuse, it was for Lush so basically what they were saying is I'm not a stark raving lunatic so I had no chance, when I have been using their products for years, know them inside out, back to front, upside down & I'm their best walking advert for the effects of Lush products on acne, their skincare is my forté but it's sad that I didn't even get the chance, what a stupid excuse!

Oh Lynne you are ever insightful! I can't see the picture as my internet is having a strop a the minute, so annoying that somebodys' ability is judged on the way they look.

I'm a size 18, but I love wearing make up and always have my nails done.
The amount of times I've had comments saying you can tell your a beauty therapist and that's when I'm not in uniform.

Just because some1 is not a size zero doesn't make them useless.

I think my size makes people comfortable cos when they are embarrassed taking their clothes off for a spray tan for example , I make a joke of it and say don't worry look at me , I'm no-one to judge and they suddenly relax.

My clients like me for my personality and skill not for my size.

It's very true that we all judge a book by it's cover. First impressions do count.

To the OP, do you think because you're conscious of feeling you're being judged that you're putting out defensive/bad vibes, which is causing people to not warm to you, or to not offer you the job?

It's easy to become paranoid, and to be honest, there are many hundreds of reasons why you might not have got the job.

There is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance - read the story by Samantha Brick, called "Why do women hate me for being beautiful"

The woman was stark raving delusional, she was not all that, but thought she was. Fair play to her for being confident enough to even think that! It was a shame that her narcissistic attitude was the most hideously off-putting and highly unattractive thing about her. Yet, she truly believed it was her looks and not her attitude that was the problem!

Google it :)

BTW I'm not suggesting that about the OP, I'm just throwing the idea out there. :D

When I go for treatments, I go to the one who does the best job, no matter what they look like. As long as they and their salon/work space are clean that's all that matters to me.

Haha, thankyou Kaya! That could be a reason I'm not aware of, actually I think I do sometimes try hard in an interview for the interviewer to like me & that might come across differently. The story sounds very interesting, thankyou! I'm very glad I'm not the least bit narcissistic, infact quite the opposite but it should be interesting to see how blind some people (or I!) am to their own problems!

x

Haha, thankyou Kaya! That could be a reason I'm not aware of, actually I think I do sometimes try hard in an interview for the interviewer to like me & that might come across differently. The story sounds very interesting, thankyou! I'm very glad I'm not the least bit narcissistic, infact quite the opposite but it should be interesting to see how blind some people (or I!) am to their own problems!

x

Well you never know it could be the vibes of trying to impress are those that are actually putting people off. You did say, that someone said they weren't seeing the real you! :)

Believe it or not, I was once given feedback that I was not given a job, because of the coat I was wearing! The coat (was admittedly not office wear), and which I would ordinarily have given to a receptionist and wouldn't even have been seen in, was only seen because their receptionist was in the loo, and they showed the previous candidate out. I mean, talk at grasping at straws, but it does make you think! If you can be refused an office job for not having your coat off in time, then, they can think of all sorts of reasons why not to give a person a job! :D

Latest posts

Back