Have I done the right thing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky lou

Reaction score
Sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum.

I'm in need of some advice. At the end of july I started to rent a chair in a local salon. The salon has been there for 10 years, and it's only the owner that works there. There are 6 sections so has the room for me.

I provide all my own products, colours, foil, gowns gloves etc etc. The only thing of the salons I use is the electric and water. I don't even use the salon phone as I have my own business stationary and use my mobile.

The salon owner doesn't advertise the business and relys on regulars or walk-ins. The salon is shut on Mondays and 1/2 a day on wednesdays so I work moble when required on these days. I also still work mobile some nights, the owner isn't happy about me still being mobile.

Lately I've been feeling uncomfortable when I'm in the salon. When I'm working I can feel the owner watching my every move. When I'm waiting for a client I feel uncomfy like I'm intruding. I have started a facebook page (hence another post about pics), and I know the salon owner checks it constantly to see what new clients I'm getting. The owner doesn't advertise the salon but seems to hate that I'm trying to advertise myself. I was getting a few clients from facebook but I've not updated it for the last few days as I know the owner is watching my every move.

I'm not taking any business from the salon, if anything I'm making it look busier when I'm working there. I love hairdressing I thought renting a chair would be easier then mobile but I'm still loading all my things into the car twice a day as my gut instinct tells me not to leave it there.

I really don't know whether to stick it out a bit longer and see if it changes, or call it a day and go back to mobile. Please help.:sad:

I would maybe try and sit down and have a chat with the owner tell him/her that you want to Eli their business grow and have they thought about advertising etc either that or mabe time to go somewhere else as it doesn't seem like its a use salon x

If you're self employed and pay her rent then it's up to you if you do mobile as well! :)

If you're self employed and pay her rent then it's up to you if you do mobile as well! :)

Well said!

Your self employed Hun, in reality you should be allowed to work 24/7 if you wanted xoxo

Get Rid of them on the Facebook page or shut n down rename n start again without adding them make it a closed group so they cannot find you!! What you do is completely up to you outside of the salon!! It's not your fault you are better at obtaining business look after number one! If they hav a problem they will say!!!

Oh, forgot to ask, do you always pay your rent and bills you have at the salon on time? If so then I would say tough titties to the owner, childish I know, but if all the rest is yours and your not on a % rent contract then she has no reason to complain xoxo

I rent out chairs in my salon, I advertise for myself and my stylist & beauty therapist advertise for themselves too. I have no problem with them doing the hours they want (even if it means a Monday or when I'm closed myself). They have their own Facebook pagesas well as running a salon page! It's up to you what u do in your spare time, after all you are self employed you can choose your hours and location :) x

Latest posts

Back