Have I made a massive mistake?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pampam

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks,
I'm about to start out as a mobile tech concentrating on nails. With money being so tight it's taken me almost 2 years to get everything I need together
but I'm now getting the last bits together and marketing done and I'm raring to get out there!
So what's the problem?
Well....I love OPI and have a vast collection of the lacquers and this swayed me to go for GelColor over Shellac, now I'm worried I've made a massive and costly mistake!
I've been practising on friends and family using a Cheap LED lamp (I know, I know....) but I knew I had to get the OPI lamp before I could start on paying clients. So in about a week I will have saved the money to buy it but it's just occurred that I might be better off putting that money towards investing in Shellac instead? I'd be sorry to not continue with Opi, it has lasted fantastically well during my practise runs, the colours etc but no one I know who isn't in to nails has heard of it apart from my mum who knows it from QVC lol! I find I describe it as gel polish they think I mean gels so I end up having to say You know, like shellac?' and then the penny drops....I'm worried I won't get clients if I continue with OPI whereas Shellac sells itself.
Ive got about 18 Gelcolors already and I could cry to think that could be good money wasted.
Sorry about the long post but I'm really panicking, my leaflets are being designed as well at the mo and I don't know whether to put them on hold until I can decide which line I'm offering...
Thanks if you've got this far, any advice will be gladly received..xx

Btw,the new site has got me down as unqualified. I'm not, I just can't seem to update my profile again which got cleared with the switch!!

Btw,the new site has got me down as unqualified. I'm not, I just can't seem to update my profile again which got cleared with the switch!!

Hit your avatar, top right of the screen. Then hit Personal Details. You can then just edit and save as required.

Hi fellow geeks,
I'm about to start out as a mobile tech concentrating on nails. With money being so tight it's taken me almost 2 years to get everything I need together
but I'm now getting the last bits together and marketing done and I'm raring to get out there!
So what's the problem?
Well....I love OPI and have a vast collection of the lacquers and this swayed me to go for GelColor over Shellac, now I'm worried I've made a massive and costly mistake!
I've been practising on friends and family using a Cheap LED lamp (I know, I know....) but I knew I had to get the OPI lamp before I could start on paying clients. So in about a week I will have saved the money to buy it but it's just occurred that I might be better off putting that money towards investing in Shellac instead? I'd be sorry to not continue with Opi, it has lasted fantastically well during my practise runs, the colours etc but no one I know who isn't in to nails has heard of it apart from my mum who knows it from QVC lol! I find I describe it as gel polish they think I mean gels so I end up having to say You know, like shellac?' and then the penny drops....I'm worried I won't get clients if I continue with OPI whereas Shellac sells itself.
Ive got about 18 Gelcolors already and I could cry to think that could be good money wasted.
Sorry about the long post but I'm really panicking, my leaflets are being designed as well at the mo and I don't know whether to put them on hold until I can decide which line I'm offering...
I have OPI, Essie and IBD and have never regretted using any of them - they are all excellent quality and I find that using OPI helps me to upsell the varnishes as well as the minis.... good luck in whatever you choose xx

Hi fellow geeks,
So what's the problem?
Firstly, calm down :p shellac has been mass marketed BUT most clients aren't actually receiving CND shellac, in fact they are getting a gel polish. I use gelish and in all my advertising I put gelish/shellac as, unfortunately, that's what people know. When I get inquiries I clarify the difference right away and never use the word shellac when talking to clients.

Continue with opi, you love it and have had great trials with it, why change? Just educate your client (some don't want to hear it and you will know to shish right away lol) and they will learn. I always tell clients shellac is only available from CND, all other brands are soak able gel polish. I even have an old top coat and base coat from when I did use CND shellac to show clients that this is what the bottles look like, didn't come from a bottle like this? Not real shellac!

Honestly, in this long post all I'm trying to say is most clients only want a polish that will last them. Use what you like, educate and clients will come :)

Aah thanks so much for all the advice guys, I think I will go for it and get the OPI lamp and hopefully once clients try it they'll love it as well xx

I've been using opi Gelcolor for a year and I find most customers have heard of opi and their good reputation, a lot of them call it shellac of gelish as a generic term (like Hoover instead of vacuum cleaner). All they care about is it looks and lasts great, go for it!

Hi @pampam... all I can say is don't worry. You should go with what you believe in and trust - that sounds like OPI. If you know it works and you're enthusiastic, then that's the best way to educate your clients. I start my training with OPI on Sunday and will be doing gelcolor in a couple of months. I have gelcolor on my nails regularly and it lasts so well, leaving my nails healthy underneath. CND looks like a fantastic brand, and if I didn't love OPI I would be training with them, but I'm an OPI girl at heart. Maybe being an OPI technician will be good for you if your clients aren't so aware - that could be your unique selling point!
Good luck with your endeavour. :)

I feel your pain. I offered Gellux and OPI Gelcolor but I haven't done OPI in over a year. A lot of my clients didn't realise there was a gel version. I have the OPI lamp and lite and love it sadly I am in the process of selling my OPI as I haven't needed it and it's no point keeping it if it's not been used. I am now looking to move to another gel, as 90% of my clients like the strength the Gellux gives the, which sadly OPI Gelcolor doesn't offer that I am sad to see it go as I personally think OPI is a lot better then all of them but I have to look past that and see what my clients want. all the best Hun! OPI will be fine and you will love it and it's sooooooooooo easy to remove. ;)

Thanks @BarbaraC, @Jen889, @GillFalcon for all the great advice it's especially reassuring to hear all the positive comments from those of you that are using OPI.
@Moth I hope all goes well with your training, are you doing it with Lena White? I think the GelColor course is definitely next on my to-do-list! I thought that too about about the USP when I was making a decision about which gel polish to go with, I think I just had a bit of a wobble thinking that I might have let my heart rule my head, lol!
@envioushb aw, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you esp when you obviously love it as well, I hope you get to recoup the losses. I'm not sure without looking through the catalogue if OPI do anything like Brisa Lite for added strength? If not, there's another plus to Shellac!
And another question,I do also love the look of Vinylux and was thinking about getting it... OPI now has Infinite Shine, has anyone tried it yet? Should I invest in such a system as well now (they are pretty inexpensive) or just start up with GelColor and lacquers until I start getting some money in?!

Hey PamPam, thought I'd step in here and help too. The brand you discuss has been around a long time and has been the most successful with colour and that t is what they are famous for... Colour. QVC is not a professional forum and I don't want my clients being able to purchase my professional products from some TV platform... I may as well bug all my stuff from Boots if that's the case. When sold direct to mass market... It Becomes a consumer brand.

Many have discussed the shellac/Hoover scenario. Firstly CND Shellac was the innovator and Gelcolour came out I believe 4 years later... You are correct Vinylux was also the first long-lasting non chip nail polish and has of course CND Shellac match shades. We would LOVE the opportunity to help you make a decision based on TRYING it... Come see us and have a mooch around :p everyone has an opinion based on what they like... But education is also more key than anything else.

The consumer (your customer) also has an opinion when they ask for 'shellac'. I pride ourselves on doing an excellent job for our professional customers on marketing the CND Shellac brand as well as we have to drive people through the doors of the professional salon which in turn makes our customers a living. We most certainly do not sell direct to the consumer. So when someone asks for 'shellac' you are actually using the REAL thing with CND Shellac as opposed to saying 'yes I use it' or writing in your service menu, to get them through the door, only to use some product that isn't CND Shellac which in all honestly is complete misrepresentation of what you are actually selling. Why call it Shellac when the generic term is 'Gel Polish' for most other brands out there? Does that make sense? Please feel free to email me if you have any questions... [email protected]

Hope this has helped and feel free to call us also should you wish, on 0845 210 6060 if you need any more help.
Love & Respect
Samantha

Hi, for the last three years I've used cnd shellac & Opi gelcolor in my salon, but would say more dominantly cnd shellac!!! We do have most calls purely asking for gel polish when making the appointment rather than a specific brand! Some people phone and ask which brands we offer (some have heard of both, some neither!) we've had people in thinking shellac is the product rather than the brand, but once in salon and we're able to explain the difference between the two brands (which both also have a discription on our price list!) But we are able to talk to the client and educate them about the difference of the two, which I think they appreciate that and our honestly. I must say I feel disappointed about Opi selling out more to the consumer rather it a proffessoinal/in salon brand and I have a had some clients who also have picked up on it, saying they like the fact you can buy products in salon only( like cnd vinylux) feeling it's a premium brand!!! Ooh sorry feel like I've gone off track and lost the thread !!! Not sure if that's any help! But good luck with what you decide! Xxx

@Moth I hope all goes well with your training, are you doing it with Lena White? I think the GelColor course is definitely next on my to-do-list! I thought that too about about the USP when I was making a decision about which gel polish to go with, I think I just had a bit of a wobble thinking that I might have let my heart rule my head, lol!

@pampam Thanks! Yes, I'm training with a regional OPI educator (Coty have now acquired OPI) - I'm pretty excited. I'm going to spend today revising in between laundry and house jobs, lol.

Thanks for all the advice guys

@Moth yeah my Saturdays normally go like that too lol, good luck for tomorrow, I'm well jel...xx

@sam thanks for the advice, I'd love to come up to S2 but I'm in London my thoughts exactly about products not being exclusive to pro's...but then again the GelColors are and selling the lacquers could be good retail, but then again same with Shellac/ Vinylux?! I dunno.....swings and roundabouts! In an ideal world I'd offer both but I think for the time being I'll start with OPI and add Shellac when I can. I do want to add Vinylux now but I'm a bit worried it'll be a bit odd not sticking to one brand for all nail services?

@amyo not off topic, glad to hear clients actually know the term 'gel polish', I'd never use the brand name to sell another product as it's too confusing, I'll name in the pricelist as Opi gel polish and do a brief description of it, surely they'll get it, lol

.......xxx

Sorry, just re-reading some of the posts and wonder if someone could clarify whether Vinylux can be retailed to clients? I'm sure in the S2 catalogue there's a RRP but I could be wrong?

Sorry, just re-reading some of the posts and wonder if someone could clarify whether Vinylux can be retailed to clients? I'm sure in the S2 catalogue there's a RRP but I could be wrong?
Yes you can. Vinylux is also retail product but the good thing is they can't buy anywhere other than from us, our clients won't find it on the high street :D

Great news, thanks @Pure,can I ask, would it be 'odd' to use it for normal mani's and then another brand for gel polish?

Great news, thanks @Pure,can I ask, would it be 'odd' to use it for normal mani's and then another brand for gel polish?
Not odd at all - in fact lots of techs carry more than one range of products.
Whilst I use the full CND range for everything I also have some OPI polishes which I use alongside Vinylux.

Thanks for all the advice guys

@Moth yeah my Saturdays normally go like that too lol, good luck for tomorrow, I'm well jel...xx

@sam thanks for the advice, I'd love to come up to S2 but I'm in London my thoughts exactly about products not being exclusive to pro's...but then again the GelColors are and selling the lacquers could be good retail, but then again same with Shellac/ Vinylux?! I dunno.....swings and roundabouts! In an ideal world I'd offer both but I think for the time being I'll start with OPI and add Shellac when I can. I do want to add Vinylux now but I'm a bit worried it'll be a bit odd not sticking to one brand for all nail services?

@amyo not off topic, glad to hear clients actually know the term 'gel polish', I'd never use the brand name to sell another product as it's too confusing, I'll name in the pricelist as Opi gel polish and do a brief description of it, surely they'll get it, lol

.......xxx
I do think clients like to See branded products, or know what their getting, I know I do. Regarding retail we don't do much really but I do have a shelf full of Opi polishes at half price because when my clients do buy they want vinylux, because it's a fab in salon polish, in which I've gained custom from stocking it! (Retail & treatment!) xxx

Yeah, it seems unlikely to me that many polishes of any brand are retailed? I'm just thinking that the women I know that regularly go and get their nails done often don't own many bottles of nail polish, if any at all!

Latest posts

Back