Having someone work with me - need advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchid11

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having some dilemma and need some advice. I have been building up my beauty business for 7 years and have been based in a busy hairdressers for the last two. I work self employed and pay rent for the four days I do, four long days but that's my choice. I'm struggling at times to fit people in and if I go on holiday I have to completely shut the business down, hence why not many holidays!

One of the hairdressers has qualified in beauty and has been doing a bit of mobile but its slow so after much thought feel it makes sense for her to rent the days I don't do and could also cover for me if I'm away. The owner of the salon is obviously happy about this as she would be getting more rent and I would have a bit of help, win, win!

However the practicalities of this is starting to do my head in! At first I thought she could use her own products that way I wouldn't take anything off her. But if she then covered for me my clients would expect what I use, she also can't afford separate pricelists and the cost of setting up with the same ranges I use. So now thinking start as we mean to go on, use my products, equipment and pricelist but I would take a percentage to cover my costs. What do you think would be fair?

The owner is doing a reduced rent for a bit to help her out so she would be paying that and a percentage to me, I don't want her to be out of pocket but feel I need to do this.

I have an accountant, who funnily enough I've never met, was recommended by my old guy who retired and everything's been dealt by phone and post but should I get advice from him as she would also be taking payments through my card machine?

Can anyone suggest anything else that I need to think about as we've all been getting a bit confused by it all and just want to make it fair and simple, if possible!

Thank you x

Would it be remotely feasible to employ her, otherwise she is getting quite a lot for very little. Your clients, your products etc.

Could you negotiate the rent for the whole week and pay her minimum wage plus a percentage on all treatments she does?
This way it is in both your interests for her to be busy and you will profit more from all the hard work you have already put in!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

......as she would also be taking payments through my card machine?

Check the terms and conditions of your contract with you card service, and I know my agreement prohibits doing that.

Sounds like you have good relations with your clients & I've found that most do not mind waiting for you & would love to hear about your vacation times you are human just like them after all! Tell them in advance,post your time off/back @ your station & don't worry so much! Let your new co-worker use her own product, split the visa machine 50/50 or according to days worked, send her the new walk ins, focus on your clients. If a client is desperate for a service while your away, sure, some might take a chance on your staff & they are fully aware she is not you so they know to expect some variances. If anything they will be satisfied with her work but yours will be better to them. A risk some clients are willing to try to mix it up a little. You know your clients, when your busy, offer a easygoing client looking to book in to try her out & see how it pans out if they take the offer.

Does she charge less than you? If so (& hopefully) this in its self explains it all! I've had a rate scale in some of my shops according to the staffs experience,product lines, services etc. Go have some fun:lol:

Latest posts

Back