Health & Safety in the Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegemz

Reaction score
Hey there,

Im getting closer and closer to the opening date of my salon and having a bit of stress with health and safety issues. I have no idea what I need to do to make my nail & beauty salon meet the health and safety standards. I've been on the Business Gateway website and a couple other government websites but they don't seem to spell it out and all the jargon is a bit confusing for me!!

Wondering if anyone can tell me in simple english or direct me to a good website?

Ta

Thanks doll, i've just checked out that search and it was a good one, just what I was looking for. Sometimes its just getting the wording right!! Thanks again

I've also just recently opened my own salon... You'll get a call from a health and safetly officer in the near future no doublt so they'll come and give you all the advice you need! (I found mine really helpful so try not to worry too much as they're there to help as much as anything!) dont feel like you have to have everything in place for then as they do an assesment and then give you advice on what you need to bring in to meet the standards...

In the meantime though, some of the things you need to consider are listed below:
Risk assesments - any treatments where there is a risk involved need to have a form completed. Im sure you can find examples of these on the internet.
COSHH records - You'll need to keep these mainly for your claening products and any other products that can be hazardous to health. You can also request a copy of COSHH records from you product suppliers.
Consultation forms - Covering allergies, medical conditions etc.
Accident book - I think this will be something you can source online and isn't too expensive.
Fire escape route - a clear description typed up of the fire exists and assembly point.
Fire extinguishers - these may already be installed but if not you'll need to look into them.
PAT testing - all electrical equipment needs to get certified each year unless it is doubley insulated.
Electrical couches - need to be serviced every 6 months (!)

I hope this is helpful and I haven't scared you too much!

Good luck!
Jen x

Hey there,

Im getting closer and closer to the opening date of my salon and having a bit of stress with health and safety issues. I have no idea what I need to do to make my nail & beauty salon meet the health and safety standards. I've been on the Business Gateway website and a couple other government websites but they don't seem to spell it out and all the jargon is a bit confusing for me!!

Wondering if anyone can tell me in simple english or direct me to a good website?

Ta

Habia are great for industry standards info:

"Welcome to the Habia Website

Habia is the standard setting body for the hair, beauty, nails and spa industries, and creates the standards that form the basis of all qualifications including NVQs, SVQs, Apprenticeships, Diplomas and Foundation degrees, as well as industry codes of practice."

www.habia.org

Good luck with the salon.

Latest posts

Back