heat spike problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicjill

Reaction score
OK geeks, I need some help. Last week I had a client in, she is a regular and has been coming for several months. Never had any problem with her, no lifting or anything. When she came in last week she had some lifting which I wasn't too bothered about, just assumed she'd been using her hands more than usual. The problem was, as soon as I started filing, she got a heat spike. This has never happened before & I used the same files as usual, same technique. As this lady has rheumatoid arthritis, I am even more careful than other clients so I don't hurt her. I know she is on medication but it hasn't changed in 16 years so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. She said she hadn't knocked them or anything to make them more sensitive. They were nice & thin but again, no different to normal. This happened almost as soon as I started filing & happened on different nails. I can't think of anything I did different to normal & it doesn't happen to my other clients. I didn't file any faster or harder than I normally do & left plenty of time so I wasn't rushing. I was also using the same file as usual (Creative's black grit file).

I am struggling to figure out what caused it, I thought maybe her fingers were over-sensitive for some reason but she said she hadn't done anything different either. Could it have anything to do with the hot weather? I know my fingers have been swelling with the heat, I thought maybe something like that?

I had a nasty letter from her husband complaining about how unprofessional & 'sadistic' I was with her (no mention of the nasty things she said about me though, which had me in tears) so I need to know why it happened as I'm beating myself up over it & have now lost a client. :cry:

Oh Nichola poor you. Firstly it's not a heat spike as that's what you get when gel reacts in a uv lamp. What your client is experiencing is more than likely a friction burn from filing. Some people are just way more sensitive than others. Yes the warm weather can be a contributory factor as we just cannot cope with warmth as we normally do. Think about it. In the winter we can withstand really hot baths and showers, but in the summer we would find them way too hot as we are more sensitive and need a cool shower, which in the winter would freeze us to death!

However I think it very unfair of her and her husband to behave in this way. Your client has been before and knows that you always take the upmost care. Maybe you made light of it and they felt you should have been more serious about it all. Who knows how people think? But I can see it has upset you as it would any good caring professional technician that wants the best for their client.

Someone once said to me, when I was upset over a client, try and think how you will feel in a week or two when this is all over and forgotten and try and feel like it now. It's no use letting this kind of thing upset us. As long as you behaved in a Prof manner then they don't have any cause to complain. You can only do you best :hug:

From what I understand the hot weather can impact on the heat created when filing - the friction caused by filing can be in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit (think that is the right way lol - somebody please correct me if not) anyway - so that combined with the hot weather could have caused the heat sensation.

Don't worry about the nasty things they have said about you - there was no malice in what you did and imho they are being unfair in what they have said - it could have happened to any client/tech

:hug:

H Nichola
Technicially not a heat spike she was experiencing, more a burning sensation caused by friction from the abrasive.

A heat spike is caused by the curing of gel under a lamp (where it's applied too thick or the nail plate is very thin), or occaisionally from L&P but much less frequently than with gel. It's called an exothermic reaction and it's explained really well in this thread. http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/31728-causes-heat-spike.html?highlight=exothermic

However, back to your problem, if you are confident you didn't do anything differently today, and it sounds like you've throughly cross examined yourself in to a right state, then it must be down to the client having a sensitive day.

Personally, I know I have problems having any treatments done when I'm suffering from PMS, whether it's my nails being done, my hair being done, waxing, or whatever, if it's that week, then I suffer all sorts of pain that just doesn't happen normally.

Now I know your client is a bit too old for PMS but I'm sure she must have just been having a sensitive day. I'm not aware of rheumatoid arthritis causing any potential problems to the nail plate (if we were talking about massage then it might be different). Although I'm sure Geeg or someone with her level of experience will be able to clarify for sure.

Don't take the husbands insults to heart, that was a very cruel and vindictive thing to do. If the client had a problem she should have come to speak to you about it directly, not allow him to send abusive and insulting letters.

Don't beat yourself up over it :hug:

Hi, all I can say is that if the client has been coming to you for months, then you know it's not something you normally do, as she wouldn't have returned! They will know that too!!
Yes you may have lost a client, but do you really want them when they are like that!
My only worry would be if she was to start badmouthing to other people-word gets round quick, and can cause considerable damage.
Hang in there :hug:
Michelle xxx

Thanks for the help guys, I used the term heat spike rather than friction burn as I kinda figured that calling it a friction burn sounds like its my fault! I know that over filing is usually the cause but I am so careful with this client as I know rheumatoid arthritis is very painful, my auntie has it severely. I use less pressure & file slower than I would with other clients.

I know I'm letting this get to me too much but it's so unusual to have an unhappy client, especially being so nasty to me. I know she was in pain but I stopped & moved on when it got hot to avoid hurting her & filed more gently. I'm just confused as to why it happened to this one client just this once. I have had a few other clients with damaged nails who have experienced friction burn from filing but at least with them I knew why & knew to expect it. This lady's nails were fine underneath, she's a reformed nail biter with decent nails.

I think I have to reply to this guy's letter as some of the stuff in it is complete rubbish. He said I told her it was her medication that caused her nails to burn which is nonsense, I did ask her if she was on any new medication in case it had affected her nails but I never said medication could cause burning! :irked: I have a good reputation & I don't want this one bad experience to ruin that.

Well I remember Geeg always saying that if you don't file fairly firmly then you get air trapped and this causes the extra friction and the heat (think I got that right, but I'm sure I'll be corrected it not lol!) so maybe by being too light handed has in fact exacerbated the problem.

As for the letter I would make like a Boy scout ... rub two 100 grit files together so fast they start a fire and burn the darned thing. At least you would have meant to burn that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry just trying to cheer you up a bit)

If this is not something that happens to you on a regular basis then you are okay. If you really feel you should write to them then I would do it to sack them! " I am very sorry that you seem so unhappy with my services. I can state categorically that I do not have this problem with any other client. Therefore I would feel it wise that you choose another technician at another salon to continue treatments. I wish you well, regards Nichola" Or something along those lines. keep it short and to the point. Don't try and answer his letter, you'll only make yourself more upset.

Don;t worry about them bad mouthing you. We've all had clients who for some reason ot other haven't been happy with us. BUT How many of us have had a letter like this? Probably none of us. Therefore it's him who has the problem, he's probably the sort to complain at every opportunity and people won't listen to this type of person.

Move onwards and upwards hun and refuse to continue service to her nails, you should never be made to feel bad by ANY client.

Thanks Sass, I think I wil probably still reply to the letter as I think he has completely got the wrong end of the stick with what happened & I hate to leave things on a bad note. I imagine that if he is the sort of person to send a letter like that, then chances are he will be in the shop shouting the odds before long. :rolleyes: At least if I reply to the letter, I can state EXACTLY what happened, and hopefully it will pacify him.

HUn you do what you think is right, you did nothing wrong so I think he has got the wrong end of the stick. Let us know how you get on :hug:

Latest posts

Back