Hedgehog - what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara-Jane

Reaction score
The hedgehog doesn't want to leave, it's even friends with the cat, found it in the garden, then one night it wondered in so we fed it thinking it's been hot and maybe not enough food and water and now this, it's adopted us

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473226450.235607.jpg

Aw that's so cute! I love hedgehogs, such sweet little faces.
I guess if you don't want to be his mummy lol you could take him to a hedgehog sanctuary or wildlife centre if you have one near you.

Well we are just not really sure what the right thing is to do, she is causing no harm, and as you say they are very cute, we all love her, kids love watching her, the cat protects the hedgehog in the garden and fends off other cats, and clearly has taken a liking to her, I suggested getting a hedgehog house for outside, especially as winter will soon be upon us and just taking her to a vet to make sure she is in good health, although she is very alert and doesn't seem hurt at all

Never in a hurry to leave either, eats then takes a snooze
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473231466.765451.jpg

So a little update on "our new family member" as we have definitely been adopted, no food put out and doors closed apart from the computer room door that leads to outside, on the other side completely away from the kitchen door "normal point of entry" and in she trots, I really wanted to upload the video but I don't know how

Will you keep him/her forever now?

Are they full of bugs and fleas?

At the new forest show one year when there was a hedgehog rescue there, the guy said if they have one flea they'll have hundreds and you'll be able to see a mass of movement at a close up glance at hedgie.

So if you're not seeing that, it hasn't got them

No we aren't keeping her, she doesn't stay in our house, always returned back to the garden, we think we are just a good food and water source for her as she prepares for winter and hibernation, but still considering building a hedgehog house behind the shed for her, as people have found them nesting in various places of the house including bedrooms (they can climb as we found out) as the computer room door has quite a big step to get in to

We thought the same, but as blossom said not all do, and the RSPCA said they are only hedgehog fleas, they can't and won't live anywhere else, they help with their immune systems, and I haven't spotted any on her "yet"

I love round things I never see a hedgehog anymore are they becoming extinct

I love round things I never see a hedgehog anymore are they becoming extinct
We hadn't seen any hedgehogs for a long time either but actually the last 6 months, my mum had 2 in her garden, and her next door people were feeding another one, and now this lil lady, so we have seen a bit of a influx of them, no idea why

What does he eat lol

What does he eat lol
Well from us cat food and water, in the garden I'm assuming bugs of all sorts lol not to give them fish or milk though x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473665519.509963.jpg

Here's my hedgehog house, we had a visitor last autumn and bought it for him and kept leaving a trail of food leading to it and a few bits inside, and it rewarded us by staying through the winter [emoji2]
This spring we saw 2 adults and a baby altho only got 2 on camera, one scuttled off
The house is in a corner by the garage and hedge and has s big shrub in front of it. We filled it with dead leaves last year to help with the bedding

Aww that's so cute do they come out at night

Yes we don't always see them but quite often just after it gets dark - so cute

Wish mine would eat from bowls in the kitchen though [emoji7]

Omg, this is sooo cute! I love hedgehogs! Wish one would adopt us. My mum had one in her garden called Smartie [emoji38] he's gone now though, hope he's ok.

Latest posts

Back