Help advising client please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnailnewbie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I have just gained a new Gelish client and noticed she had a black line running down her thumb nail, it didnt look like a bruise it was not raised and doesn not cause pain. I looked into it as soon as i got home and something called Melanonychia came up which looks just the same. I'm a little bit concerned as most articles ive seen say this can be a sign of cancer. I would just like to know if anyone has information or advice for me as to what to do next, as im no doctor i have no intention of alarming my client but i think i may have to advice her to see her GP just to check it out.

I would just say 'unfortunately, not knowing what it is, I can't work on this nail because I don't want to damage it further or put you or myself at risk of infection. Pop to the Dr and see if they can give you anything to clear it up, or any advice, and then give me a call'

Maybe not as long and drawn out as that but something along them lines. I certainly wouldn't mention anything it 'could be' or that its a sign of cancer, especially not being medically trained.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would just say 'unfortunately, not knowing what it is, I can't work on this nail because I don't want to damage it further or put you or myself at risk of infection. Pop to the Dr and see if they can give you anything to clear it up, or any advice, and then give me a call'

Maybe not as long and drawn out as that but something along them lines. I certainly wouldn't mention anything it 'could be' or that its a sign of cancer, especially not being medically trained.

Yes my thoughts exactly i don't want to terrify the poor lady. I'm going to say something along those lines, hopefully she takes my advice.

Good luck! Its horrible once you've googled something medical isn't it?! Doesn't stop me doing it though :-/

Let us know how it goes and what it turns out to be?!

Did you ASK her what it was ? While it can be an indicator like you said , it can also be something harmless .

Hi there, I had this with a client a few months ago (if you search 'black lines' I'm sure you'll find the thread).

Anyhow, I contacted the client and said to her that she should make an appointment to see her GP as she should get the black lines seen to (as like yourself, I googled and was worried that they might be cancerous too). I never heard from the client again...she probably thought I was barmy, but I did what I could to make her aware of them.

Do you mind me asking what ethnic origin your client is? As another thing that I found from research is that black vertical lines are quite on common amongst clients with darker skin.

Hi mizzy_dizzy, i did ask her about it and she said it had just appeared a few months ago and it hadn't caused her any problems.

MummyCat - I will search for the thread now. She is white British.

Just found the thread, it really helped me. I will call her tomorrow and keep you posted.
Thanks for the advice xx

My sister gets these like tiny black splinter lines that appear on her nail, she has quite serious auto immune problems. Def worth sending her to the docs to be sure.

Latest posts

Back