Help and advice needed from fellow geeks!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimsay291

Reaction score
Hi Geeks :)

I have recently ventured into the beauty industry and need some help!

I am 20 and have been in a job I hate for over a year now and decided to make some changes. I took the plunge and decided to follow my instincts and enroll in some courses as since I've been young Beauty was always what I wanted to do, now I don't know why I didn't do it earlier!!

I have recently qualified in Bio Sculpture nails. Absolutely LOVED it :) But I am now in a bit of a predicament as what to do next...

I am enrolled into my local college to start a part time (7 hrs a week) Beauty Therapy Diploma which is a year long and covers mani, pedi, waxing, facial, eye treatments and some dermalogica training. The only thing is now that I have completed Bio Sculpture I really just want to get stuck in, start working and to do some courses now, then get experience with those then maybe do a few more short intensive courses further down the line. I really don't like the idea of spending a year at college anymore. Can anyone give me any advice as to what they think would be the best option? I have looked into some other places but because I'm a newbie I'm unsure of how recognized other institutes in house certificates are!? Does anyone know of any good institutes in and around surrey or even the London area that they would recommend?

Also another quick question..If i qualified in say, facials, could I then go to companies like Dermalogica and Elemis and get trained with their products just from my previous facial certificate?

Any advice/comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

hi!
its a very good question you bring up about training. while i think most people will recomend that you stick with the longer course i understand where your coming from and that you want to get stuck in. personally i have done a full time 1 year course at college of which there was never a 1to1 option for learning and the tutoring in my opinion was a bit hit and miss as we had 3 different tutors and would all insist that we had previously learnt something in a previous class with one of the other tutors when we hadnt. it was a very frustrating process for me. however i enjoyed working alongside the other students and the support you get from that. not all colleges and tutors are the same so i appreciate that.
i have also done fast track training in some things where i have been either in a very small group or 1to1 training where i feel the trainer gives your their total attention. however what i would say is that you need to build your confidence in the treatment as doing short courses doesnt allow for very long for you to get totally comfortable in the service. so either make sure you get lots of practice in or try and do some work experience for a local salon maybe. short courses are also very expensive and when you add up what you will pay in total for all the things that would be included in your year long course you will probably be paying alot more - but im not to sure about the costs.
in regards to the certification, some courses will only qualify you in that treatment when doing it that way with a particular method or product, however there are many fully acedited courses like city and guilds courses that i believe are accepted readily. but this really isnt my area of expertise. sorry for the essay but i like it when people are thorough when replying to my posts so i do tend to go on a bit. at the end of the day you just have to do whats right for you - and whats right in your situation. good luck with your decision.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back