Help! Blonde highlight kit disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbowkiki

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have naturally blonde hair, although it used to be very light it got darker as I got older so had it highlighted at the hairdressers. I couldn't afford to keep it up so my hairdresser suggested doing it myself with Loreal Colour Expert highlighting kit.
I have used it once before, it came okay, a littler reddier than I would have liked but it was better than having the dark roots.
I used it again yesterday, in exactly the same way, and now I have one side of my parting on top really bright, yellowy blonde and the longer layer underneath has greyish blonde ends.

Is this something the hairdresser can fix? Or do you know of any products that I can get that will get rid of the yellow? I have got some Tony & Guy Platinum shampoo that reduces yellow tones but I'm a bit scared to try anything now!

Lesson learned: I am never never dying my own hair again!

Any advice would be much appreciated - I'm blinded by the brightness at the moment and it looks hideous!

:)

hi hun.

im glad you have seen the light but its a shame youve had such a bad experience!!! dont use the shampoo...it may help the yellow but the grey bit will get greyer and so could other bits. just get yourself to a hairdresser, they will be able to help.

and i would advise not going to the one who told you to start home dyeing your hair....its a bit like a doctor saying"can't afford your botox? inject yourself with some poison then, till do the same job"

i just wouldnt trust someone who thinks home dyes are any good!!! who knows what kind of sub standard product she uses!!!

good luck xx

Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it.

I can't bear to look in the mirror at the moment, it is so very bright on top :(

Yes, I'm not heading back to that hairdresser any time soon, instead I'm going to see if I can get an appointment at a salon my mum has used forever to have her hair highlighted - they seem very good.

Do you think this is something quite easy for a hairdresser to fix? Or is the process risky in itself? I have no idea what the hairdresser would have to do to get it right again - I think I could cope with the grey ends as long as the yellow was taken out.

Thank you again!

I'm not a hair geek but can't believe a hairdresser would recommend you to use a home dye kit. Defo don't go back there.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :hug:

Thank you :o)

I feel so stupid for listening and actually buying one now. I've always been dubious about box dyes and should have gone with my instinct but after the first one went okay I thought I'd have another go...

So wishing I could turn back time to yesterday! I guess it could've been worse though, at least it's all varying shades of blonde [however much they clash!] and not green or bright red or something!

From what you describe yes it is fixable by a good hairdresser without seriuos damage.

Hun don't feel stupid. Its common sense for you to trust your hairdresser about hair colour. Just your hairdresser sounds...hmmm well i dont know how to put it constructively about her.

Thats good you know a reputable salon to go to. :)

What is it with hairdressers advising clients to colour their own hairs! I done a girls hair last week and she said she stopped going to her last salon as the stylist told her she might as well do it herself and told her what colour to get and peroxide! I don't get it at all!
Like Kim said about the doc, you woldn't trust a doc who told you this, and nor would I trust a hairdresser who tells clients to colour their own hair!
Hope you get it sorted soon, and hopefully the next stylist won't suggest home colours! lol x

I would sack a stylist who suggested a box dye. Not only are they rubbish (as the poster has discovered) but it is our job to colour hair.

She sounds like a lazy, demotivated stylist who cant be bothered to do highlights to me.

Thank you, you have all made me feel a bit better and less stupid!!!

I'm going to phone the reputable salon first thing tomorrow to see if they can fit me in and have kept the box of the hair dye I used.

Definitely won't ever do this again and am going to warn my friends about the same thing!

The more I think about it, the madder it seems that a hairdresser would advise me to do this, especially since it's supposed to be her job to do it!
Ah well, you live and learn I guess.

Thanks so much ladies, you've all been a *big* help!

Latest posts

Back