Help-breach of contract crisis!what should i do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kateuk2

Reaction score
I work for a small one off salon. I've never been overly happy with the way its been run, i.e cutting corners and leaving staff to work alone. But I have worked hard without complaint regardless. I usually work 9-5.30 most days and thurs 9-8pm. My bosses have just "changed" my hours of work by making tuesday late night until 8pm also. Now i perhaps would not have minded so much but they basically have told me this is the way it is like it or lump it and have given me a mere few days notice. However my contract states my weekly hours, which we have all signed and there is no mention of them changing it at their discretion. Now I decided to speak up on this issue and was told "if u like it u should think about looking else where!" I've also had to bring up the fact that contract laws do not allow changes in contract unless agreed by both employee and employer. I'd quite like to leave here anyways but don't really want to until i have found a new position, also my contract states i have to pay back any training if i leave within a year- which makes me have to stay till feb!
I want a good reference as i fully deserve one. I'm hard working and loyal- i feel like i've been kicked in the teeth. Any advice? I'm unhappy here anyways now its worse :sad: please help xx

Hi, I would say just stay and work the hours until feb if you are wanting a reference and not wanting to pay for training. As I said in a previous post, a lot of employment contracts have grey areas.

If you disagree to the new changes in the contract then by law it is illegal for them to fire you for that reason but they could find another reason to fire you as nobody's perfect and we are in a recession; i.e. not needed due to quieter times, they can also gather data from when your started as evidence and dismiss for misconduct which is a whole other grey area.

Without going into unnecessary detail about contracts, in this day and age people are just happy to have a job and if your not happy there is a hell of a lot of other people who would be in your position.

From what you have said,your employers seem stubborn and may cut down your hours until you have to leave anyway, by not agreeing.

hope this makes sense, i'm talking from past experience.

P.S sorry if there is a lot of spelling mistakes i'm having eyesight trouble at the moment (prob too much time on salon geek lol)

I have to agree with Vitality, as harsh as it is. As you only started in Febuary, and they have clearly paid for training courses for you, I think you should accept the changes that they need to implement with good grace.
Maybe your expectations are a little high?

Hi there.

Have you sat down with your manager and had a chat to her about your concerns and try and reason with her before you mentioned contract laws? Have the other therapists had their hours changed or just you? Have they got someone working with you on that late evening?

x

Thanks for your advice guys. Just to clarify (persianista) i have been there part time and full time for 2 years not since feb!thats jus when one lot of training was which is the only training i've actually had. I'm not ungrateful at all for my job- i'm very hard working and have even worked in the salon alone a lot and not complained. My issue wasn't so much the changes but the way it was handled. I was given no warning and just told this is what's happening and if you don't like it get out, which understandably upset me and left me feelin trapped. I am however glad i didn't just give in and was able to put my point across to them proffesionally. I was only MY hours changed and as it only affected me personally felt if i did not speak up for myself nobody else would. As a result of this a compromise has been made with the hours to suit all. I do not feel this would have happened if my bosses trully believed they handeled it well and i was totally unreasonable. Thankyou for all your advice, i am still gratefull x

Oh and sarah-janrich and vitality- thankyou for your advice i did take it on board- sarah nobody would have been with me that day and it would have just been my hours so obv that felt a bit unfair. But thankyou very much :D

I think you know one of my therapists, Victoria? She taught you the penguin dance. She said that would make you laugh.:D
I'm glad you have sorted the situation out and I hope you don't have to work alone in the salon. That slightly concerned me

x

OHHHH VICKY! yeh! No i taught her the penguin dance!!!!lol yeh she said she's tell u wat happened- its sorted but i am on my own all the time. Ask vicky she'll tell u. Awww bless i love vicks, hows she doin?

Latest posts

Back