Help!!! development time 20% peroxide???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks,

Hoping you can give me some advice, (i am not a hairdresser).

I currently had warm blonde highlights with hot pink crazy colour flashes, got bored with that an asked my mobile hairdresser to put more blonde and attempt to get rid of pink. A couple of times she has left the peroxide which is 20% (foils not scalp) on for about 45 mins to 1 hour, which seems a very long time to me, but my hair has always seemed ok, and loved the finished result. This time she did it my hair is a gorgeous platinum blonde but is very very dry, thin, snapped and frizzy :eek:!!! Could anyone advise me on maximum development times for 20% peroxide so i know wether to have a word with her, or save my hair and go back to my natural dark brown.

ps- can anyone recomend a good conditioner / hair repair treatment?

Many, many thanks

Hair will only take so much before the proteins are destroyed which then leads to dry brittle breaking hair. You cannot bleach then color over it and bleach it out and color over again and again without damage. You need to be using a good shampoo and conditioner when any type of coloring is going on in your hair.

The timing has nothing to do with it. it depends on the damage that is already underneath it all. And what you are currently using for conditioners and Shampoos now.

I would suggest Joico Kpak shampoo and conditioners..
Use the Kpak intense conditioner the first week twice then only once after that. It is a protein that will build the strength back up into your hair
In between, use the moisturizer.

I would do a few intense treatments with both of them.
By this I mean shampooing lightly IF needed, gently towel dry , apply conditioner or Kpak, place plastic wrap or bag over your hair and heat up and leave it sit for about 20 mins. then taking plastic off let hair cool for 5 mins and rinse in cool water.

Do not brush the hair but gently with fingers or a wide tooth comb . Try not blow drying or curling for a few times if you can get away with it.

and surely 20% peroxide is illegal, i know that 18% was stopped being readily available, some retailers still offer it, but not many. 12% is the highest percentage available from most retailers. do you mean 20 vol?

i was recommend k-pac intense conditioner by the girls on here, after having a bleaching accident (which was rectified by a pro) and my hair really suffered and k-pak is fantastic and you see a real difference after the first treatment....

and surely 20% peroxide is illegal, i know that 18% was stopped being readily available, some retailers still offer it, but not many. 12% is the highest percentage available from most retailers. do you mean 20 vol?

Well I took it that it was a 20V not %..geesh, let's hope that is what she meant..:eek:

sorry yeah must have been 20 vol not 20%, i have had my hair bleached to different shades so thats prob why my hair is in such bad condition, just thought i better get your advice before i called her again, thanks very much for your help and i will try the treatment you advised.

xxx

hi there i would of done a test before applying to your hair ,to check if the hair was :irked:able to take the chemical process.:eek::eek:
and a skin test before i even touched your hair then wrote the result on a record card :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back