Help environmental health nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolebeautyx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I been doing nails and tanning for 8 years now, recently my friend has opened a new salon and their seems to have been problems from other salons being "jealous"! We are all extremely busy with hair make up beauty etc!

I currently do nails , tanning , lashes etc in the salon, and the environmental health have came in twice now . First time we passed and they didn't have to come back but all of a sudden they came in today, we were all so busy so they have said they will come back but have had a few complaints about toxic fumes (acetone etc, was what they said)

Now , all my Nsi products and pots and glitters bottles etc are all covered and lids on these , all nail files are cleaned between clients , extractor fan is always on (built into nail bar)

so I'm trying to find if there is anything else they can get onto me for ? Also we don't spraytanning but don't have an extractor fan, iv been told that if you only do so many a day you might not need a fan ? Is this true ? And if so how many would that be ?

Please help iv been going out my mind thinking !

Thanks everyone xx

Come on everyone I really need help

You will be ok. They are hardly likely to shut you down. It seems like you have all the right procedures in place which they will want to see, they will tell you if there is anything more you can do.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You will be ok. They are hardly likely to shut you down. It seems like you have all the right procedures in place which they will want to see, they will tell you if there is anything more you can do.

Make sure your health and safety procedures and statements are up together just in case. You have all your chemical data sheets, risk assessments, fire risk assessments, first aid kit, fire extinguishers, pat testing, I could go on.

I really think that you're doing everything you can, don't worry! In this industry, there will of course be some fumes expected, they only want to make sure you haven't got gallons of open acetone everywhere no doubt. They're a bit scary because it all sounds so official, but seriously don't stress. They have to check complaints out, it doesn't mean anything sinister for you at all xx

Happened at a salon I worked at previously due to a complaint from a disgruntled ex employee, as long as you're doing everything you've been taught you will be fine. they literally did a quick check in the rooms weren't there longer than 10 mins and left. don't worry and good luck x

Thanks everyone , do you all think we should get a extractor fan for tanning ? Or do you know how many tans you can do daily without getting one ? Just we don't do that many so think it's a waste of money, but will get it if I defo need it! Yeh that's what they done first time but now they are back - total panicking!

The extractor regulations depend on the size of the space and the air flow, if you have a window open it slightly, if presumably people are opening and closing your door while entering and leaving you are creating air flow and will be fine. A salon near me does her tans in a cupboard with no extractor!

Yeh it is a big room (no window though) also the door is being opened and shut a lot (it is a big salon)

Latest posts

Back