Help finding hairdressing training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah120588

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, kind of new to this my friend suggested that i come on here..

I am at the moment in the middle of a career crisis, i want to become a hairdresser, i am now 21 years old but i dont want to have to go back to college for 3years.

I have come across saks academy in Glasgow which does a one day a week course for a year. I live in aberdeen so it would mean travelling down there once a week which i am prepared to do but it is quite expensive for the course!

Does anyone know of any alternative? I want this more than anything just not sure what direction to go down?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Leah-Anne

i think saks do apprenticeships? which means you would still do the training through their academy, at the same time as working in the salon and getting a wage (which would obv mean having to move to glasgow)

If I'm entirely truthful, anyone coming to me for a stylist job after one year of one day a week training wouldn't get an interview. I don't think there is a quick or easy way to learn an entire trade. I don't believe anyone can be a credible hairdresser after 48 days training.
I'm sure I'l get shouted down for saying it, but I employ a lot of hairdressers, and I trade test many more.

I agree with Persionista , unless you are extremely talented , you will really need to put the hours in, even the best of us still have to update our knowledge and learn new techniques ( or rethink old ones).
You may be better to start an apprenticeship , or start a part time job helping in a hairdressers ,so you can observe and decide whether it really is for you .
I did 2 years full time college , went for a job interview and trade test , andthey said they didnt have a place for me , however i really liked the salon , so they took me on a 3rd junior , the other 2 juniors get made up before me , but im so glad that i stuck with it and didnt get any old hair job at (unnameable)chain, because ive learnt so much about differant types of people and about teamwork and the training was much more intense than college

Last edited:
Cant you just settle yourself to Glasgow as it is just a matter of 1 year and this is what you want more then everything try to find out some apprenticeship there that will also earn you some money.

thank you for all you replies, they are really helpful and i do understand what you mean about putting in the hours, would it be best to go back to college??

Latest posts

Back