Help, itchy scalp - allergy to conditioner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGordon91

Reaction score
Hey lovelies. I am desperate need of help. I recently changed conditioner to VO5 and since then my head is itchy and flaky. I go to bed and the itch is driving me mad and I wake up and it's itchy. Infact in general It's itchy. It's at the back of my head mostly from my ears down to the very base of my hairline. I'm wondering if it's because I'm allergic to my conditioner ? It's the only thing I've changed in my routine. Ive not been able to dye my hair because it is actually getting that bad. Is there anything I could buy to help with it ?

Stop using vo5 no?

Sent from my SM-T230 using SalonGeek mobile app

Stop using VO5, take an antihistamine tablet if you are able to and see your GP or pharmacist if it doesn't settle. You could be allergic to the product and discontinuing use might settle it.

Stop using VO5, take an antihistamine tablet if you are able to and see your GP or pharmacist if it doesn't settle. You could be allergic to the product and discontinuing use might settle it.

I forgot to mention that I have stopped using it now, washed my
Hair today with another conditioner but it's still relatively itchy =\ ive never had any issues like this before.

Best thing you can do is see your GP or pharmacist for advice. Scalps can have their moments for no real reason but a medical professional would be able to look at it and take a little sample if need be.

Best thing you can do is see your GP or pharmacist for advice. Scalps can have their moments for no real reason but a medical professional would be able to look at it and take a little sample if need be.

I'm feeling considerably better. Took your advice and took anti histamines last night and I've took one today so not had any itching. I think VO5 is too scented as generally anything I use doesn't have a smell (generally use some brand in Sally's both shampoo and conditioner which is for coloured hair and has no real smell to it.) I know my skins sensitive to things like that but never thought my scalp could be. How bizarre lol.

If your scalp is calming down now, it sounds like a reaction to your hair products.

No to supermarket brand shampoos and conditioners! They contain lots of added ingredients as fillers.

Try OSMO sulphate free for coloured hair from Sallys.

If your scalp is calming down now, it sounds like a reaction to your hair products.

No to supermarket brand shampoos and conditioners! They contain lots of added ingredients as fillers.

Try OSMO sulphate free for coloured hair from Sallys.

It has hardly been itchy at all today. Took one anti histamine this morning and been fine since. Clearly ive learned my lesson. I'm heading into sallys to pick up a few things. I normally use OSMO colour conditioner and a sulphate free conditioner but i had ran out with no way to get there due to being busy. So smack on the hand for me. No more supermarket stuff. Normally my back up shampoo has been treseme but my partner said he was getting itchy hands lol. So I'll just need to buy him some stuff from sallys and stay clear of everything to do with supermarket stuff! Thanks guys! Xx

Hey lovelies. I am desperate need of help. I recently changed conditioner to VO5 and since then my head is itchy and flaky. I go to bed and the itch is driving me mad and I wake up and it's itchy. Infact in general It's itchy. It's at the back of my head mostly from my ears down to the very base of my hairline. I'm wondering if it's because I'm allergic to my conditioner ? It's the only thing I've changed in my routine. Ive not been able to dye my hair because it is actually getting that bad. Is there anything I could buy to help with it ?

I find that my Australian Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner has turned out much better than VO5 or any other medicated shampoo I have used in the past, might work for you. They also do an organic anti dandruff line available on Amazon.

Latest posts

Back