Help, major SOS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoAllure

Reaction score
Hello..
Can someone please have a look at my finger and tell me what they think has happened to my naughty finger. I don't know what's happened to it but it's so sore and really throbbing. I am baffled I haven't hurt it or anything and I'm just confused why it's so painful. It's honestly throbbing. Can anyone suggest what it could be xx sobs in her pillow

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1447626377.586136.jpg

It's actually really hot to touch.

I thought I was going mad an invisible injury

I get those all the time. It usually feels and looks fine the next day.

Could be an allergic reaction to a product you've come into contact with. I'm not a doctor but if it was my skin I would put on some germaline and take an antihistamine incase it is an allergic reaction. X

Looks infected.
I would Remove shellac/polish and soak in hot water and apply some antiseptic until you can get to doctors or the pharmacist will take a
Look
[emoji169]

Ok thanks ladies I have been really hot and cold all day and all last night too couldn't get comfortable I may just try get an app tommo morning
If I wrapped to take my shellac off do you think it will aggravate it more

If you use acetone to remove and it is infected it could aggravate it though. Going to the pharmacist to check it out if it's still bad tomorrow would be a good idea. X

Heat is usually an indication for infection. Go to pharmacist/gp xx

I just don't know what's happened to it
Like nothing was catching on anything
[emoji25][emoji25][emoji25]

It could be a tiny hair is stuck in the nail fold. I'm 99% sure that it's infected. I suggest soaking it in Epsom salts. It should " come to a head" and pop..

It is infected. Your right it's started to ooze

It sounds like Paronychia. I've had a few of these and they clear up pretty quickly (soooo painful though) Get some Magnesium Sulphate paste from the chemist, coat the area on your finger and wrap it completely in a clean dressing for 24hours. The paste draws the pus out and, hey presto!, infection & pain gone. Brilliant stuff ! If it doesn't clear up, see your GP. Hope you get it sorted :( x

Oh thanku @Cathi44 in going to try that before I try gp as I feel like a wimp going in for my finger only

It's hot, shiny and the skin is very tight, there's an infection there. Bathe it in warm salt water and apply a hot salt cotton ball compress to help draw the infection out. Do it often and if it starts to weep wrap it up in a bandage to encourage the infection to be drawn out. If it's not okay after a few day go to your doctor but they'll probably tell you to do the bandage and salt water thing and maybe give you cortizone cream. Hope it gets better soon! Let us know! Z

It could be a whitlow. Disinfect and push out any pus, then leave it be. I get them a lot and they hurt so much but will go quickly if you keep it clean x

A whitlow is an infection of the tip of the finger and is usually caused by a virus, most often herpes simplex (although it can often lead to a side bacterial infection). A paronychia is an nail disease of the base and side of the nail fold and is usually bacterial or fungal. In either case, don't puncture or break the skin. Yours looks like a paronychia. When there's no pus you should soak in warm water with Epson salts and apply an antibiotic ointment, like neosporin. Tea tree oil is also a good remedy. You might still try that, but if it doesn't improve in 24 hours, get to a doctor. They'll probably say the same treatment, but sometimes these things require an oral antibiotic. And absolutely get to a doctor immediately if there is any sign of the infection moving up your finger or hand. These things can go septic on you.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV...

Last edited:
If you have been going hot and cold this could be a sign of fever associated with infection, you should go to the doctors as you may need antibiotics to clear it up. Not worth risking it by soaking etc especially as you have been having symptoms of a fever. Hope you feel better soon x

It sounds like Paronychia. I've had a few of these and they clear up pretty quickly (soooo painful though) Get some Magnesium Sulphate paste from the chemist, coat the area on your finger and wrap it completely in a clean dressing for 24hours. The paste draws the pus out and, hey presto!, infection & pain gone. Brilliant stuff ! If it doesn't clear up, see your GP. Hope you get it sorted :( x

My son gets this often and the magnesium sulphate paste works a treat. His will be slightly red one day and green and swollen in the morning.
If u can't get any get to a gp, the infection can get into your bone. Xx

Latest posts

Back