Help me please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloverhill

Reaction score
Hi ladies & gents!
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice or help, with wording something on my business page. Please.

I live in a small village & work from my recently converted Beauty Room at home.
I offer cnd shellac, spray tanning, tinting & waxing, & eyelash extensions.
I've worked extremely hard at training for these treatments & pride myself on offering some of the best products out there. I love working in beauty & have a passion for everything nails & beauty related!!

The problem - I feel a lot of people think this is a 'hobby' for me as my other half has a great job & publicly well known for what he does and I (their words!) 'don't need' anymore money. Which is absolutely NOT true at all. I'm a serious professional when it comes to my work and LOVE providing a professional service to my clients new & existing. Over the last year I've had people say to me they've over heard people saying it's only a hobby for me as I'm bored 'sitting round the house'!!! I NEED help with telling these people and everyone else who thinks this, that this is my JOB not a hobby!!! But I don't know how to word it without coming across as bitchy or worse, unprofessional. And I absolutely do not want o refer to my other half when writing it!!!
Please help me! Anyone.

Thanks for reading this essay!!! X

I don't think there is a need to write anything, it's not going to benefit your business but only maybe put some peoples noses out of joint OR make the gossip worse. I'd just ignore it and carry on.

I agree with BP. Just do a great job, advertise well, know your stuff and ignore everything else.

I also live in a small village but slightly different to you. I did my beauty training and set up from home but was just seen as a mum who did a bit of beauty. We live in a very small terrace house but I did it very professionally. I wore a uniform and a friend designed some fab pricelists. So good in fact that new clients would drive down my road and call the number to check they were in the right place!

I've recently won new clients locally just from a passing conversation about skin and make up. I was able to advise the potential client of the difference between bare minerals that she uses and Jane Iredale that I use. Suddenly I'm seen as a professional who knows her stuff.

I now have a large salon but really enjoyed my time working from home. I would also add that good clients don't give a monkeys what your partner does or in my case, what house you live in. Work well and ignore the rest.

Final comment. You can get a bit paranoid in a village, and usually there are only a few mean people but it's their comments we hear. Rise above it - and definitely don't write anything anywhere. I'll shut up now.

Good luck

Vic x

Sounds like jealousy to me. Haterz gona Hate as they say. Hold your head up and ignore the gossipers safe in the knowledge that you ARE a professional and know what you are worth.
They will eventually find someone else to talk about. Village mentality..

You've got to ignore this stuff, rise above it and carry on with what you're doing.

Putting anything relating to this on your business page will be counterproductive. It's unprofessional when people use their business pages to have a mini-rant or 'set the record straight' - that's what Salon Geek is for :D

No need to write anything, say it all by your professionalism!

So tips and pointers that have helped me in the past:

Be clear about your opening hours..if people know you have 'hours of business' when you do treatments they are more likely to see it as a business.

When people want to book..I always tell them my opening hours, then ask them what day suits them best. I'll then give them specific times they can have their appointment. I never accept any wishy-washy times..like 'just after 3pm' It is a specific time 3pm 4.30pm etc.

I don't take calls on my phone after closing hours, people can always contact me by e-mail or leave a message on the answerphone.

Do you know what people still say to me (after 17 years of being in the beauty industry) "oh if you need a guinea pig you can practice on me if you like!?" Not being funny but after 17 years I no longer need guinea pigs!! Most of these people mean well but don't necessarily take you seriously. I can understand where your annoyance & frustration comes from! I would just say calmly & politely to the next person that passes comment on your business "well some people may think of it as my hobby I prefer to call it my career!" X

Oh ladies. Thank you very very much. I know your all correct. I never ever ever have before, put anything personal on my business page as I loath that kind of thing. Thank god I asked on here first! Phew!! Thank you so much everyone xx

What is the difference between the two minerals make up brands , as I use bare minerals at the moment !?? Just inquisitive !?? Xx

What is the difference between the two minerals make up brands , as I use bare minerals at the moment !?? Just inquisitive !?? Xx
Bare minerals contains a mineral called bismuth. This can be an aggravant and can cause tingling and redness. Jane Iredale removed bismuth from their products many years ago but it is still in BM. The clients I was talking to has a daughter with extremely sensitive skin so I pointed out the differences. There are now quite a lot of 'mineral' make ups on the market but many contain products that aren't ideal - talc is a mineral but is definitely not a good one! They only need the smallest amount to be called mineral so there are a lot of differences between them.

Hope that helps

Vic x

Thank you , interesting , I do find bare minerals can dry my skin out throughout the day , will look into Jane Iredale and give it ago !! X

Latest posts

Back