HELP! Nail seperation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haydenamzy

Reaction score
Hi all

I need you advise. One of my regular clients is suffering really bad with 1 nail. It has seperated from the nail bed over half way down, and also it had a slight little green mark need the cuticle area. She has never had this problem before, and I have been doing her nails for over a year. I removed the tip and acrylic last week to have a proper look at it. I suggested perhaps keeping the tip off this time but because she was going to a wedding she wanted it back on. I scrub-freshed very throughly and but a tip back on.

But what should I do with it? I am worried as I have been doing nails for over 3 years and never come across this problem. If I leave a tip off, it is very weak and flimsey and I dont what the whole nail coming off.

Any suggestions would be great thanks X

any suggestions guys?

Sounds like a fairly nasty case of onycholysis...

Based on the amount of seperation I would definatly not give her any length to help lever more damage. (as the nail bed works on a tracks and grooves system, additional damage will have a zipper effect and compound the problem!)

Recommended treatment is to shorten the nail right down and prescribe plenty of solar oil to help moisturise and condition the area. If appears to be getting worse, remove product, apply a bandage until the nail bed has a chance to regain some of its ground.

Also keep a close eye on the green spot and ensure you thoroughly use good sanitation practises and a pathogen fighter such as scrub fresh...

This has happenend to one of my nails also, what causes this?

Mechanical force is the primary culprit.
Trauma to the nail bed from any of the following,
catching a ripping up the nail.
burns from corse abrasives, heavy handed abrasion, drills etc,

quite common. I had a new client come to me from a woman who used a drill to "cut" in the smile line and clean up under the free edge, this client had onycholysis on every finger to different degrees.. She mentioned that it had always been painful! OUCH!!

Lisa Woods said:
This has happenend to one of my nails also, what causes this?
there can be a few causes... the client may have bashed her nail against something ages ago and forgotten and this is now the result. More often than not though it is caused by over buffing of the natural nail - especially whilst re-balancing! Sometimes teks don't realise how zealous they can be in zone 3 - once zone 3 has grown into zone 2, it can pop from the nail bed due to it being thinned! I get onycolysis on my little finger on my left hand - why? because I am right handed so find it easier to buff my left hand and don't realise that I have over buffed my own nail - maybe your client has been 'playing tek at home'?? anyway, some things to consider!! :idea:

BTW Envy is right with mechanical frce (forgot that as I don't practise this method on myself:rolleyes: )

Hi there,

When I did my fdfc @creative, I had already had to soak off my own nails, so they were quite weak, then we practiced on each other so I soaked them off too.
When I had done 3 of 4 days, i tried to put a set on my own hands (not good news)
When I took these off my nails were knackered!!!
So when I went back for my rebalance day, the tutor advised me to apply enhancements, but to keep them short.
My nails are nearly back to normal now after the damage has grown out!!!
So just keep an eye on them and use common sense!
HTH
Tina

'Yeah I used to go to a place which used drills and they are quite heavy handed and also now I am practising on myself which is not good news to my nails. I am waiting for my nail trainer to arrive. My fingers and nails are sooooooooore!!

Latest posts

Back