Help need advice on my grey/black hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooki

Reaction score
Hey peeps!

I really need some advice...i have been dying my straight, thick, chest length, hair at home black for nearly 15 years! My natural colour is a med-dark brown and has natual red tones too, its really dry and damaged also. Ive had grey hair since i was a teenager but over the past 6years my it has got progressively worse (the majority of it is all at my roots and fringe area) its got to the point im dying my roots every 2 weeks because its so noticable and its driving me mad! I wish someone had warned me as a teenager not to dye it black because i heard somewhere that black dye bleaches and dyes your hair at the same time! I really love my long hair but i know it grows really quickly (ive had inverted bobs and short spiky hair in the past) so i would be open to cutting it but what i really want to know is how i can get the black out of my hair and get a more manageable colour to deal with the grey? I fear my hair would snap and fall out if i tried to get it stripped and no other colour will go over the dye, it just dyes my roots! I tried to dye it red once and had red roots and black hair! Not a good look! I am an adult teacher so its not like i could wear a hat to for weeks etc while its being done but i do have 2 weeks off at xmas which i could deal with bad hair for that! Any suggestions welcome and i could send picts also! Thanks guys x

Hey peeps!

I really need some advice...i have been dying my straight, thick, chest length, hair at home black for nearly 15 years! My natural colour is a med-dark brown and has natual red tones too, its really dry and damaged also. Ive had grey hair since i was a teenager but over the past 6years my it has got progressively worse (the majority of it is all at my roots and fringe area) its got to the point im dying my roots every 2 weeks because its so noticable and its driving me mad! I wish someone had warned me as a teenager not to dye it black because i heard somewhere that black dye bleaches and dyes your hair at the same time! I really love my long hair but i know it grows really quickly (ive had inverted bobs and short spiky hair in the past) so i would be open to cutting it but what i really want to know is how i can get the black out of my hair and get a more manageable colour to deal with the grey? I fear my hair would snap and fall out if i tried to get it stripped and no other colour will go over the dye, it just dyes my roots! I tried to dye it red once and had red roots and black hair! Not a good look! I am an adult teacher so its not like i could wear a hat to for weeks etc while its being done but i do have 2 weeks off at xmas which i could deal with bad hair for that! Any suggestions welcome and i could send picts also! Thanks guys x

Sorry, we can't help you as you are not a hair pro, despite your profile saying so, the only advice we can give you is to go to a salon and get it rectified professionally.
Your colourist will give you a consultation and advise you the best colour/shade to combat your problem once a full colour correction is done.

Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix and I recommend you go to a proffesional obviously x

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry @KHS I didn't realise this site was exclusively for 'hair pros'! I've never once claimed in my profile I was a 'hair pro' why would I when I'm a lecturer? All I was looking for was a bit of advice from the professionals! If I wanted a useless, snippy, sarcastic reply I would have asked yahoo! Obviously I know this will need to be done in a salon with a professional but I was just looking for some suggestions, colours, methods a bit of friendliness! Oh well I was clearly mislead by the entry requirements of the salon geek website...even though funnily enough every member doesn't seen to be a 'hair pro' anyways thanks for nothing. :biggrin:

Thanx @blueeyednewt that is some great advice I didn't even know about the conditioning bit! I always condition in the shower! Do u think cutting it really short would help? Then could it be beached easier that way? Less hair to damage!? I honestly am clueless with this stuff....that's why I'm in this mess. I can afford to get pro conditioning etc it's more I don't have the time to get it done I work every day long hours but I'm pushing 31 and feel like I don't want to end up one of these old ladies with black/grey hair n lipstick on her teeth! Haha thanx for helping x

Sorry @KHS I didn't realise this site was exclusively for 'hair pros'! I've never once claimed in my profile I was a 'hair pro' why would I when I'm a lecturer? All I was looking for was a bit of advice from the professionals! If I wanted a useless, snippy, sarcastic reply I would have asked yahoo! Obviously I know this will need to be done in a salon with a professional but I was just looking for some suggestions, colours, methods a bit of friendliness! Oh well I was clearly mislead by the entry requirements of the salon geek website...even though funnily enough every member doesn't seen to be a 'hair pro' anyways thanks for nothing. :biggrin:

If you look at your profile, it is ticked HAIR...

My reply was not snippy, nor useless and certainly not sarcastic!!

We are not allowed to give non pros methods on how to do their hair. Forum rules. This section is for hair pros...

Consumer section is for non pro questions and there is a sticky post at teh top of the Consumer thread informing quite clearly what can and cant be asked and answered .. and you're very welcome :D

CLICK >>http://www.salongeek.com/consumer-queries/234340-im-not-hair-geek-but.html

Last edited:
Hi Folks

I have amended the thread accordingly. Just a reminder that it is not permitted to give non pros hair advice. This is a professional site and whilst questions can be asked in the consumer section, this doesn't mean that technical advice will be given.

Many thanks :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

@KHS clearly you can see my profile says 'newbie' I filled out the registering form and clicked hair, as that what I was wanting help with. Wasn't sure which place to put my post so just did it in both places. Sorry that I don't have all the time in the world to read through the salon geek 'rules & regulations' and im not an old pro at the forum sites! I'm a busy woman with hair problems!! Haha this is first time I've ever asked the online community a question...I'm happy I got this far! And can I just add... In NO WAY am I asking for advice to bleach or strip my hair at home! All I was asking was for some advice on how to go about it, is there a shampoo I can maybe use to lighten, will it be better to cut it etc etc that was it! I'm sure by asking this I'm not breaking any rules! Oh and your comment was completely useless as my 5 year old niece could have told me that! Go to a hairdresser is not really what I was looking for! See @bluee for a great reply to a question! Full of friendliness and helpful advice! Oh and if your 'not allowed to answer my question in your 'pro' section why reply?

You're saying "hair pros" as if it isnt actually for that.... I dont think she meant offense its no good us giving you advice because unfortunately with that you still dont know what you're doing and the results could be disastrous. It definitely needs to be left to a professional to sort out. It will be expensive and will probably take a few goes but worth it

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Reactions: KHS
...and you will see @bluee post has been moderated, and a note added above your last post by HappyFeet a site moderator.

When we read.... I tried to dye my hair Red but only the roots covered, nothing will cover my black hair and I'm dying my roots every 2 weeks... we are only to assume you are asking for DIY advise.

And on that note I am now closing the thread. Please can I kindly remind new members to fully read the rules when joining. They are there to ensure the smooth running of the site.

Thank you :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back