Help needed! Shellac removal & re-application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz Pinkies

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I would be grateful if you could please advise the correct process for removal of shellac and then reapplication?

I have been having difficulty with the removal of shellac in that it is taking an awfully long time to remove (I use the Express5) and it seems to remove better on some fingers and struggle more with thumbs - also is more difficult on clients with ridged nails and I am left with some really stubborn rough patches. I was told by a tutor that it was ok to buff the nail to remove the remnants but having read some threads on here it seems that buffing is a no no?? This may be why I am having a few issues with adhesion?

Also once it is removed and you move on with your pep, do you soak the nails or go over them with soapy water with a lint free wipe or nail brush in order to remove the acetone completely to prevent the nails from dying out too much? Also, Would the use of cuticle away affect adhesion?

Sorry so many questions but have been having issues recently with peeling of the shellac and it not lasting the two weeks and have a couple of ladies with white spots too and wondered if this is to do with the removal process/not wiping off the remover/buffing the nail plate...

Any advice would be gratefully received.

https://www.cnd.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Step-by-Steps/CNDShellac_Application-Removal.pdf

Don't buff, rewrap.
No soaking the nails. This disrupts adhesion, as the nail swells when wet.
Use cuticle away always, but deactivate with soapy water in a spray bottle. Wipe well with a towel.
Use Scrub Fresh to dehydrate the nail plate.

Read CND instructions l linked here thoroughly then go ask your tutor what you're paying her for. She should be helping you with this.

Thanks for this. Will have a look. After removal, do you wipe the nail with soapy water before using cuticle away?

Also, I have 51 hours left in my lamp - would that have an affect? I thought the peeling etc might be a result of the base coat/polish/top coat being too old possibly as it had got a little thicker in consistency so bought new but that didn't change anything.

No, you use soapy water after Cuticle Away. See what I said before about the nail swelling?
Are you using the proper lamp? If you aren't this whole thread is moot.

Also, I have 51 hours left in my lamp - would that have an affect? I thought the peeling etc might be a result of the base coat/polish/top coat being too old possibly as it had got a little thicker in consistency so bought new but that didn't change anything.

at 50 hours you should take the top off your lamp and switch the bulbs around as sometimes bit of harder gel and shellac will have stuck to them. It is good practice to clean your bulbs with IPA once a week to make sure any bits of gel are removed from them as this will affect the curing process.

It does not sound like you have had a genuine shellac education, if possible i would invest in a shellac conversion course , you will be amazed at how much you will learn from CND and it will help your shellac application to no end. Its very reasonably priced too.

For a few pointers to start on now, you should never buff the natural nails, if nails are damaged (and they will be if you are continually buffing them) shellac will not adhere to them the way it is supposed to. Shellac is coating designed for healthy nails, it is so thin it requires the strength of the natural nail to support it , if the natural nail is compromised it will affect the shellac service.

Also buffing the nail, or having ridges in a nail will give the shellac something to really grip onto and so will be harder to remove. Many salons negate their cuticle work in favor of buffing as its quicker and will make the shellac grip better. However it completely ruins the fantastic patents the shellac has of needed no buffing and being kind to nails, you may as well use a cheap generic brand IMO if you are going to buff the nails after.

Never soak the nails before a shellac application, the water will swell the nail plate, and will evaporate after causing the shellac to peel off as the nail shrinks.

Have a spray bottle with soapy water on your desk to deactivate cuticle away, give it a little spray and dry with a towel. This will effectively deactivate your cuticle away with out causing the nail plate to swell .

Hi I have just read the the link - thanks. It does say that after using cuticle away to scrub the nails with soap and a brush and then remove with water. I just don't know whether I should be introducing the scrubbing of the nail straight after the removal to avoid dehydration?
Thanks v much.

Yes I'm using the CND uv lamp...

Thanks for the info ladies...I think I really need to try to get on a different course as am not sure I was taught correctly...any suggestions of good courses in the berkshire/Surrey area?...

Theres only one place to get the correct course and that will be from Sweet Squared or one of their partners. Phone them and find the nearest educator to you, you won't be sorry :)

New Hi I have just read the the link - thanks. It does say that after using cuticle away to scrub the nails with soap and a brush and then remove with water. I just don't know whether I should be introducing the scrubbing of the nail straight after the removal to avoid dehydration?
Thanks v much.
Simply spraying the nails with water and soap then wiping with a cotton pad will be sufficient to neutralise the Cuticle Way, soaking isn't necessary. However if your client is having Shellac removal and reapplication providing their cuticles aren't particularly bad you could simply dry prep and not use CA at all.

Also I think you're getting confused about the nails becoming dehydrated. Yes acetone removers dehydrate the nail but this is temporary, nails will return to normal within around 20 mins, however you will have to cleanse and dehydrate with Scrubfresh prior to reapplication anyway so there's no need to worry about the effects of removal when done correctly (NO buffing). Ensure your clients are using Solar Oil everyday and long term dehydration isn't an issue.

Thanks so much for all the info and input ladies. It's so helpful. I have been using a pump dispenser bottle with soap & water in it and wiping the nail with a lint free pad after cuticle away - assume this is sufficient to neutralise product?
Would long term shellac wearers suffer from white spots and dehydration or should dehydration never occur?

Thanks so much for all the info and input ladies. It's so helpful. I have been using a pump dispenser bottle with soap & water in it and wiping the nail with a lint free pad after cuticle away - assume this is sufficient to neutralise product?
Would long term shellac wearers suffer from white spots and dehydration or should dehydration never occur?
That's fine for deactivating the CA. White spots are more generally caused by damage from harsh removal, buffing the nail plate or scraping the product from the nail plate. That's why it's so important to follow the CND removal instructions properly. If it doesn't easily flake away then rewrap and soak for a little longer until it does. It may take a couple of minutes extra but your clients will thank you for it because their nails will be in a far better condition.

Latest posts

Back