Help please! New client, problem nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaberry

Reaction score
Hi! Really hope you can help!
I had a lovely lady come to me on Friday with very thin, short, bendy nails.
She desperately wants to grow them to a reasonable length and would like a bit of strength because as soon as they get just past the fingertip they break.
She said she has tried enhancements (sculpted and tips) in both gel and l&p in the past as well as overlays. All at different salons. With all of them she said she experienced lifting from the eponychium end of the nail then they peeled off.
She wanted to try my gel polish as I have had good results with this on many others wanting to grow their nails.
I was very careful in my preparation and application (as always!) and went through the aftercare advice with her and gave her a copy to take home.
She has just been in touch and said 3 have already peeled off and another starting to lift.
The nails did seem to be fairly oily, although her cuticles were dry and overgrown. She is not currently working and the only hobby she said she has is swimming although she has not been this week. When she contacted me I asked her to talk me through any products/activities she has done in last few days and she said she washed 3 plates without wearing gloves.
Although I know this could be a cause I also know I have several other ladies who have the polish and admit to doing this and theirs lasts 3-4 weeks!
I would love to help this lady and offer her something that works. So any suggestions? Do you think her nails/lifestyle are just not suitable?
have any of you come across this before and found a solution?
She is 43 and on medication (amitriptyline, cerazette, solifenacin succinate, lansoprazole and cocodamol) if any of that might make a difference!
Thank you. I would appreciate any feedback on this as she is being lovely and I want to help her!!

Please anyone, any thoughts?
I am seeing her on Friday and would love to be able to give her some help or advice xx

I don't know if others would agree with this, but I just think there are clients who don't suit gel polish. I have had great success with clients who want to grow their natural nail, and some have had such damaged nails after enhancements that have either been badly applied or badly cared for. I use Nailtiques to help the natural nail - or OPI nail envy which has also given great results. One of my ladies had years or extensions and came with very weak nails. We used Shellac but they peeled quickly and were just really poor condition. In the end, we took the length right down and used Nailtiques for regular manicures and her nails look and feel completely different. Her Shellac now lasts a lot longer, but still not ideal. Hope that helps!

I don't know if others would agree with this, but I just think there are clients who don't suit gel polish. I have had great success with clients who want to grow their natural nail, and some have had such damaged nails after enhancements that have either been badly applied or badly cared for. I use Nailtiques to help the natural nail - or OPI nail envy which has also given great results. One of my ladies had years or extensions and came with very weak nails. We used Shellac but they peeled quickly and were just really poor condition. In the end, we took the length right down and used Nailtiques for regular manicures and her nails look and feel completely different. Her Shellac now lasts a lot longer, but still not ideal. Hope that helps!

Hi
Thank you. I really do appreciate your reply!
I'm quite baffled by this and just want to help her. Like you am starting to think maybe she is just not suited. She has tried l&p as well as gel in the past in various salons and always had lifting. Yes it is possible that she's telling a few porkies with what she does at home but I'm not 100%
Apart from the dry cuticles her nails were not damaged at all just very short and bendy! And with quite an oily sheen that surprised me as cuticles so dry.
She doesn't even want long nails just a little bit of length! But they so flexible they break.
She's happy to put time into it so I'd like to know a bit more about Nailtiques. Is it a strengthener? Where do you get it from? I'll go do a search on it too myself :)
Thanks again xx

Think you have to be a Nailtiques stockist, but would def recommend Nail Envy by OPI - available to therapists from Salon Services etc. Have seen a big improvement with this. I have had the odd client who just has one nail of Shellac lift - thinking of doing some sort of Gel to add more strength and longevity for those with weaker nails!

Hi! Really hope you can help!
I had a lovely lady come to me on Friday with very thin, short, bendy nails.
She desperately wants to grow them to a reasonable length and would like a bit of strength because as soon as they get just past the fingertip they break.
She said she has tried enhancements (sculpted and tips) in both gel and l&p in the past as well as overlays. All at different salons. With all of them she said she experienced lifting from the eponychium end of the nail then they peeled off.
She wanted to try my gel polish as I have had good results with this on many others wanting to grow their nails.
I was very careful in my preparation and application (as always!) and went through the aftercare advice with her and gave her a copy to take home.
She has just been in touch and said 3 have already peeled off and another starting to lift.
The nails did seem to be fairly oily, although her cuticles were dry and overgrown. She is not currently working and the only hobby she said she has is swimming although she has not been this week. When she contacted me I asked her to talk me through any products/activities she has done in last few days and she said she washed 3 plates without wearing gloves.
Although I know this could be a cause I also know I have several other ladies who have the polish and admit to doing this and theirs lasts 3-4 weeks!
I would love to help this lady and offer her something that works. So any suggestions? Do you think her nails/lifestyle are just not suitable?
have any of you come across this before and found a solution?
She is 43 and on medication (amitriptyline, cerazette, solifenacin succinate, lansoprazole and cocodamol) if any of that might make a difference!
Thank you. I would appreciate any feedback on this as she is being lovely and I want to help her!!

This is funny as I have a client very similar. She wants to grow her natural nails I did a l&p overlay and they started lifting from the free edge. This had happened before from another salon so I was super carful with prep.

If she has really oily nails id suggest trying the tip n dip method, i have a few clients whos nails cant take to l & p and they have no problems with tip an dip and last ages :) xx

Latest posts

Back