Help! Really need some advice, my salon is so quiet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot Geek

Reaction score
Guys any advice would be much appreciated.I just moved to a whole new area and have taken on the challenge of renting a beauty room within a busy hair salon.I knew it wasn't going to be easy starting from scratch and being a nobody but im just finding it harder than I thought.I have been in a month now and im barely getting anything.I feel I have tried everything in my budget but im now sitting here with thousands of pounds worth of stock and not using it.I advertised on Yell,i promoted my business facebook page,i delivered pricelists round doors and im even giving out little goody bags with a free 30 min facial to the hair clients to get them in but im still not getting much.Im now so worried and stressed out about it.Is there something im missing out?

Any advice please

Guys any advice would be much appreciated.I just moved to a whole new area and have taken on the challenge of renting a beauty room within a busy hair salon.I knew it wasn't going to be easy starting from scratch and being a nobody but im just finding it harder than I thought.I have been in a month now and im barely getting anything.I feel I have tried everything in my budget but im now sitting here with thousands of pounds worth of stock and not using it.I advertised on Yell,i promoted my business facebook page,i delivered pricelists round doors and im even giving out little goody bags with a free 30 min facial to the hair clients to get them in but im still not getting much.Im now so worried and stressed out about it.Is there something im missing out?

Any advice please

Firstly check the sticky in regards to marketing this may help. Have you done flyers? Emailed local businesses, ?
It depends who your target market is, please specify where you are the treatments you offer , how many staff, staff turnover e.t.c These are generic marketing ideas and really depends on your brand- what is your brand???;

Never trusts groupon or deal sites to get you loyal custom, they attract people out for a deal and can damage a brand.

spend a couple of hours sending emails to all the local golf clubs, day nurseries and independent schools offering a gift voucher for their Christmas Fayres/Raffles/Draws.
Given that of the several hundred pounds worth of gift vouchers sold only few will be redeemed, its was worth a gamble. It gets your name into even more local venues ( shall drop off a load of flyers when you drop off the gift voucher) and puts you in a good light in the eyes of the local businesses.

local wedding dress shop drop in and have a little chat with the owner . Get them to take some of your flyers and invite them for a free treatment so she/he can see what you do, and work together to provide brides/prom queens with the whole package. Hair and beauty packages for the bride will most likely be a winner.

Add a listing within your county-

If you type in something like beauty salon your town in the search engine a lot of directory sites will come up. Makes it easier to find where to get listed. Try People per hour if stuck with this although listings are free to make people charge like £30 and you could be put on 1000 different places not just yell.
Have a high SEO.

Low Cost Marketing
Little and Often: 1000 leaflets every week then do those same houses again 4 times. (It takes 1 day to deliver 1000 leaflets. )
Research has shown that the effects of advertising are short lived. Therefore, in order to optimise your budget, it makes sense to spend smaller amounts very regularly. This will ensure that your business is consistently at the forefront of customer thoughts. Having leaflets in front of the hairdressers will help also. So outside so people can take when you are not there , you can buy holders and leaflets. try doing something generic but still stands out / offer an upgrade instead of a reduction in your services. Penguin pages makes great leaflets and is online within forum.

Word Of Mouth (offer deals for recommend a friend)

Be Committed
Capture Data
Build a mailing list. This will enable you to target your campaigns more effectively. Collecting the names is the hard part, so give your prospects a reason for them to provide you with their name and address competitions, an emailed newsletter, the promise of advance information and discounts, maybe even a loyalty card. Work at keeping your list accurate and up to date. Try to get hold of email addresses as well as (or even in preference to) land mail contact details: email is cheaper and more versatile than postage.

Maintaining customer relationships
It is estimated to be up to four times more expensive to attract a new customer than it is to maintain an existing customer. So be personal. Remember birthdays and anniversaries. Say "thank you"

Selling new treatments
Invite your regulars to check out new products or services: they appreciate being treated as special, and you will lower barriers to purchase because the risk associated with trial is lower and they will therefore be more likely to purchase the treatment in the future. Look at their past purchase history if possible, and tailor special promotions to them. For example someone always has massage maybe a taster indian head massage for reduced price or add on complementary.

cheap and Easy Marketing
Postcards are cheap and easy to produce, especially if you use colour on one side only. They can be mailed to prospects and stacked in help-yourself dispensers. And you can use them for a variety of marketing messages

Competitions
Run competitions, however remember the prize and the type of competition you run will reflect on your business. Having a raffle with poundland chocolates may not get the same clientale as a bottle of reasonably priced chardonnay. ASK for contact information
Rewarding Loyalty

The customer gets a good deal, you get a keen customer (and their contact numbers correctly)

RETAIL is key. Retail should make up 25% of your takings minimum. A client who buys retail is 10 % more likely to return. Especially if their are not many stockists. That way even if you do not have clients you have a second revenue in an e-commerce shop.

Go to a service industry type companies and call centres. These companies run sales incentives and just general morale boosting competitions and are looking for prizes,a way of promoting ourselves to literally hundreds of people for the sake of a few vouchers...i.e a back neck and shoulder massage.

I had the same situation, and was in a hair salon. You really need to check target market , facials are great but many hair clients want waxing,make up threading and nails services so I suggest really promoting those, but even then you must be realistic some shops will NEVER work for example mine stayed 3 months and found out shop had been active for over 14 years and some days especially Saturday's they would only have 2 clients. o_O

hope all made sense good luck.

sorry I tried to reply there and I think I have done it wrong,,im new to this site

D
sorry I tried to reply there and I think I have done it wrong,,im new to this site

Do not worry best of luck in the future and try and keep optimistic , remember everyday you work hard you are working towards a better future. So just because today was quiet next week/ tomorrow maybe booming. It is like building a house one brick after another.

D

Do not worry best of luck in the future and try and keep optimistic , remember everyday you work hard you are working towards a better future. So just because today was quiet next week/ tomorrow maybe booming. It is like building a house one brick after another.

thank you : )

Not much to add except mutual sympathy as I am in the same situation!

I worked from home for years but started renting over a hairdresser a couple of months ago after we moved house.

It is tough and hard to keep cheerful sometimes isn't it?!

I am just about managing to pay the rent from my treatments but not earning anything at all yet.

I have started an v good discount offer for gel polish that is bringing in some clients so maybe that's something you can do if you haven't already. I hate to do it but it feels better to have some bookings and something to do and at least it go towards the rent.

Don't worry ladies it will turn out good in the end [emoji4] I'm quiet at the min too.
Don't worry about doing a few offers at least it gets your work out there an people seeing and talking about it. Word of mouth I the best advertisement so always go that extra mile for your customers [emoji5]️ and don't worry customers will come in time jut so you're best and love your customers and your work!
Just don't fall into the trap of being the 'offers salon' or you'll just get the bargain hunters and less loyal custom xxx

Any advice please
I'm a hairdresser but It took me 18 months in business to be even close to doing ok, at the 12 month stage I really started wondering if I was ever going to get even remotely busy, come 18 months tho the locals began trying me out as word of mouth got around and it got better, it takes a very long time to build a client base when starting from scratch. After 1 month I was lucky to see 3-4 clients a week so don't worry too much it's normal, an important thing to remember about the next few months is September is when holiday prices go down, so a lot of people who want quiet holidays go this month, October people start getting the jitters about Xmas coming up and tend to stop treating themselves to save some cash, same for November people generally tighten the purse a lot more, then December is awesome everyone spends like maniacs coz it's their Xmas treat time and their buying retail for gifts etc, then January is skint for everyone (especially our types of business) it hits us the hardest so any money you make in December budget well for January. As said above read the sticky there's so many idea you can try out to get more clients through the door :)

Amazing advice above.

But have you thought of going into the salon and giving a free hand massage or quick polish to the hairdressing clients, or even a little shoulder massage? Obviously get permission off the manager etc.. This way you can get to know the clients and its not costing you much. Invite them to come and see your room and then give them a price list to take away.. Plant the seed in their head, with things like 'i offer eyebrow waxing, i could arrange your appointment around your hair appointment next time if you are interested?'..
Giving an incentive to the hairdressing staff, maybe every 5 clients that they send through to you they get a free brow wax or money off another treatment... Its helped in salons that I have worked in in the past.

A like, comment and share comp on facebook always draws clients in. People might not even know that you are trading, you have to shout about it!

Good luck, Its hard doing it alone. It will get better

Let us know how you get on
xx

I found nails a better one for the hairdressing clients, especially something like a file and polish that they can have done while their colour is taking. I would steer clear of offering free though and do a special offer instead. I spent a lot of time in the hair salon making my face known and chatting with clients.

Do you do treatments on the hairdressers? They chat to their clients and could recommend you.

Are your price lists professional? How many did you distribute?

I found having a website really boosted my client base. Banner Penguin is great and affordable for a really professional looking website x

I agree with FlawlessBeauty on most of what was said, but people are more willing to try something new if its free. A little 5minute treatment, not a full on treatment, probably costing no more than 20p in products! It gives the clients a little taste of whats on offer, and gives them an opportunity to get to know you. Some clients may not think they need a treatment so wouldn't consider taking up a special offer. But then they get a taste of the lovely massage you do, and the sent of that essential oil, and the charm of you. 5minutes wont be long enough, and they will end up wanting more!.. If they don't book in, they will go home and tell family and friends about the lovely treatment they had at the hair salon..

I did what missgreeny is suggesting when I first started at this salon I offered it to every lady i met for the first time and I introduced myself and gave them a file and polish an just got to know them and from there a lot of them have become my customers x

Thats great at least you have the start of a wonderful client base. If your not already doing so I would start a loyalty system. Bring a friend or if a friend books in through a recommendation they both recieve a discount off their next treatments. Ask clients to 'check in' on facebook and add a comment. Take some pictures of before and after each treatment to showcase the wonderful work you are doing and put them on social media sights... Local buy, sell, swap fb pages in your local area are always a good base to advertise and its free as long as you get permission from admin. It takes a good 12months to build up a good clientelle.
Hopefully things will pick up for you soon.x

This is helpful thank you x

Enjoy life

Facebook works brilliant wonders for me I have my own page where my clients can leave review its called the beauty boutique xx

Thanks Guys all very helpful advice x

Latest posts

Back