Help removing metallic salts from hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mue

Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping I could get some advice on metallic salts!

I currently have lilac hair but recently I went to the hairdresser to get it lightened down to a pale blonde/silver. The hairdresser did an incompatibility test and unfortunately she said mine was "boiling" because of apparent metallic salts in my hair, therefore no salon will go near it! She also tried a couple of strand tests with different levels of bleach but they kept coming out minty green.

I've been experiencing green hair for a fair while now and infact every time I touch up my roots, if I slightly overlap a previously bleached section it turns green, however the new growth turns blondey. So whatever it is is clearly not growing out.
At first I thought it was a blue manic panic dye I used that turned my hair green but I'm doubting it, especially if regrowth is also turning green.

The products I tend to use are Sally's 20% peroxide and wella blondor blue powder. The dyes I use for my lilac (which fortunately covers the minty green!) are Crazy Colour Hot Purple and Directions Cerise mixed with conditioner. Recently I've been using touch of silver shampoo which has actually been keeping the green at bay.
I'm beginning to wonder if it could possibly be chemicals in my water supply that's reacting with the bleach as it feels like a never ending nightmare! I don't even want to dye my hair darker at this stage as I'm worried about it reacting with the metallic salts.

Therefore any advice/info on what could possibly be causing this/removing metallic salts would be massively appreciated!

I believe you will have to have your hair cut off. I also suspect that you aren't a professional. Go to one and maybe they can salvage some of your hair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

I posted in consumer queries because I'm not a professional.

As above, I've been to my hairdresser (and a trusted one at that) but she can't do anything to it til it washes or grows out. However it keeps returning so I was hoping for some advice on what could possibly be causing it!

Sounds like something in your water supply. Is it mains or well water?

Ask your water supplier to test the water to analyse the mineral content.

In the meantime, use a clarifying shampoo and bottled water to wash your hair and see if there's any difference. It might take several shampoos to remove the mineral build up.

Sounds like something in your water supply. Is it mains or well water?

Ask your water supplier to test the water to analyse the mineral content.

In the meantime, use a clarifying shampoo and bottled water to wash your hair and see if there's any difference. It might take several shampoos to remove the mineral build up.

As far as I know it's mains water, however I do live in the countryside and we have had problems with excessive chemicals in the water/pH levels before. I'll see if I can get the water checked out and I shall try the clarifying shampoo trick.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back