Help! Skin test reaction, what options for colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggins

Jayne Williams
Reaction score
Hey geeks!

I have a fairly new client..she has been having bleach highlights for years..I've done her bleach highlights a couple of times and tone after using dialight milkshake she is natural base 7..she wanted a change and we decided to take her darker was planning loreal 5.35...we did a skin test last night...within the hour she came up with a reaction...she said she is very sensitive..obvs I'm not doing her hair now..but wanted to find out my options?..ideally she wants or be darker..and to stop using bleach we discussed a high lift tint...am I still ok to do her highlights? And how soon could I do this?

Thanks guys! X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

As above ^ I was going to say try Koleston too!

Ok thanks! Will look into it xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

My understanding of these new tints is that they contain a substance called methoxymethol-p-phenylenediamine which apparently fewer people react to but some will still be allergic and so they still need skin testing.

Just be aware that the darker the colour, the more pigment it contains so make sure you use a dark tint to test with.

Still test with innosense! It's just suppose to be less likely to react

If she is still having a reaction with the other skin tests, u could go through and low light it :) x

If she is still having a reaction with the other skin tests, u could go through and low light it :) x

How? What do you class as low lights? Sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. Surely there's an increased risk of reaction using a darker tint?

Are you meaning to do this as you have colour in foils as oppose to scalp?

You still skin test no matter what method you choice to apply colour!

Low light with foils and the innosense, iv done this on a client, when taking the foils out rinse individually so it doesn't touch the scalp, I used an 8 to break up the bleach and was really careful with application/ rinsing off :)

It's still risky and also breaking manufacturers recommendations

Skin test 48hours before an oxidative colour

Not 'no skin test needed if you use foil and wash carefully'

Low light with foils and the innosense, iv done this on a client, when taking the foils out rinse individually so it doesn't touch the scalp, I used an 8 to break up the bleach and was really careful with application/ rinsing off :)

I agree so long as you are careful you can still foil with the darker colours

Is that your opinion or wellas recommendations that you can foil with no skin test?

I never said no skin test, as stylists we should all do skin tests, Especially were a client is sensitive.

Nope sorry you just recommended colour a client who has reacted to a skin test! Your recommendation was use foil and was carefully.

This info would void someone's insurance and also cause a client harm if anything happened.

I think iv been misunderstood on here, I skin test every single client, would never not, I'm just saying if u low light it using foul, taking time in insuring you do not touch the skin with colour and rinse each foil singularly it can be done, but up to the stylist themselves if they do the process or not. Iv done it and had no trouble/complications/reactions, just an opinion and different ppl work different ways, that is all😊

Do you mean you would skin test and if it was ok then as a precaution still foil and wash carefully?

Yes, I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear, I'm terrible at explaining things! Is never not skin test and I'd never colour without a skin test I think iv just said it wrong 😁x

I interpreted your posts as you recommend foiling on clients who had reactions and just 'being careful'.

Sorry if you did mean you actually do that

No that's not what I meant, I'd of been sued I don't know how many times if i did that lol 😊as I say my explanation wasn't great x

Latest posts

Back