Help!! Training to be a hairdresser??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emzie_xox

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new

Firstly I'd just like some advice, I have an interview with headmasters next week as a trainee, but my friend who took up an apprentiship there left as she said it was too demanding working 6 days a week (1 day in college included) and only got £95 a week from then for 40hours work, this has made me think whether or not to go for the position now as I dont think I'm ready for it and Im not sure if I even want a career in hairdressing as ive never done it before,
theres a local course which the jobcentre told me about where its a level 2 course, you dont get paid whilst doing it but they help to find you employment, or they provide a placement in their adjoined salon to the training block, which sounds alot better to me, ive already spoken to them and they sound really friendly and told me they provide taster courses aswell to see if hair is for me,

Or the other alternative is to go to a college for level 2, but the thing is im currentley on jobseekers allowance having lost my job and now live with my partner (parents kindly moved down by the coast few weeks back) I need money to live as my partner cant pay for everything, would I be eliglbe for any benefits whilst training e.g income support? If any other you guys had any expreince?

any info appreciated on my options to get into hairdressing and money for living

thanks guys,

emma

Hello,

well let me tell you what i did,
around this time last year i lost my job working as a fashion rep, so i decided to go to college 2 days per week and do my Lv 2 hairdressing, to get the course paid for i had to sign on, i got just under £50 per week, i loved college and qualified on monday, i have started a job as a level 3 apprentice and get paid £80 per week to clean a salon 45hrs p/w.....a year at college learning skills that i cant use in the salon, in my opinion go the apprentice route, you will learn on the job, mabey your salon will have a model day ! the money is better than the dole and if your customers are nice the odd pound tip helps greatly with buying your lunch ! belive me if you can spare the time you will learn so much more being in the salon than at college but yes, you will probably work harder in the salon...it will be worth it in the long run !

Greg x

Thank you for your reply Greg, It's such a difficult choice to make, with no experience & no-one else to ask its great that you have gave some insight, Im now more leaning towards the apprentishep (not with headmasters though) I feel that being with and working alongside a training centre and a real salon will benefit me.

I had an interview for headmasters in bath... went to it and they said that i would have to work 6 days a week... either 9-6 or 12-9pm and I would have to work alternate sundays... considering i live nearly an hour from bath I decided to not take it ... I now am a fully qualified hairdresser working full time in a small but constantly busy salon in my town... suits me to a treat whilst i'm building up my experience... I always think the smaller the salon, the more chance you've got of having one to one help... rather than a big salon where you feel totally out of your depth...

Last edited:
oh and I'm level 1,2 and 3 qualified... went though a college course... and iive just started full time and im earning £155 a week... starting wage x

Last edited:
Either way when your National Credit contributions run out you wont receive benefits unless your different down south?! I lost my job in Jan this year and have applied to college to do Beauty Therapy and found out that my credits run out in a few days and because my hubby works full time I wont receive any more benefits, even if he is on a low income!!! And we dont get any other credits as we are both under 25. If you go to college would you not get a bursary/grant? If I get my bursary I'll actually be better off than I was on benefits. If not I would go the apprentice route :green:

I have absolutley no idea how the benefit systems work down here! Im not sure if I could get a bursuray or grant as I get the college course free anyway- have to look into that thanks. x

hi, i have just finished the first year of a 2 year course level2 nvq hairdressing, i am on income support and because of it i qualified for hardship funding, it paid for my kit , uniform, fees and also childcare, although it does have to be a registered childminder but if i was to go full time in the day, i would have applied for a nursery place but couldnt fit it round my older son at school, i have to apply again for my 2nd year but was told if on income support then i would qualify. hope that helps x

Thanks Racheal, that really helps to know, but does anyone know if I will have to apply for income support before I start my course or afterwards? As i am on jobseekers allowance for the moment so will I still qualify for the kit, uniform etc as Ive just recieved a list back from the college, and its adding up to £350 which I defenitley dont have the money for!!!

£350 for your kit !!! thats crazy i spent £200 and had more than i really needed,and many other students bought their kits for much less !, try salonsdirect.com for a cheaper kit, also ask about the learner support fund, this can also fund towards costs such as the kit !
best of luck !

Yep it is alot of money- thats why I cant really afford it! It includeds the kit, the uniform and 1 textbook, so my interviewer told me we get a 'good' deal, we have to then pay a further £45 just before the christmas break up for a dolls head, also if I choose to take optional units I will have to pay for materials used in that aswell!

I would think about buying my own for less, but there is alot of items on the list and was told we need all of them! If i was to buy them seperate, would cost alot more.

Thanks x

Latest posts

Back