Help..urgent advice needed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Geek

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a regular client who has been coming into my salon for nearly two years.... She had an accident a few years ago, which caused a lump in one of her thumb nails (lunula area).
Since she has been coming to me, there has been no lump, but her lunula have always been relatively soft on all fingers.. I have always avoided overfiling in this area, and there has never been any problems before..

However, she has called into the salon tonight, she said that she noticed last night that her lunula on her thumb nail has split... it has split vertically from the cuticle to the start of the product which has a small amount of growth... the split is slightly bumpy, but not sore.
She came to me for advice, and I asked her to wait whilst I check, as I don't know what I should do for the best.... If I soak the nail off I am concerned that the split will continue down to the free edge of the nail, hence a full split!!
If I leave the product on will this make the problem worse?? should she oil this nail or not?? will oiling prevent the nail repairing or help it??
Should this client not have enhancements at all??

I did not know whether I should refer her to a doctor in case it gets infected???

PLease can someone advise me what I should do to correctly help my client???

Sue x

I would definately try to remove the product and tell to go see her doc. Better safe than sorry.

My main worry with this, is that the split may travel down the nail...
If anyone who has experienced this before or knows what may be the best solution, please advise!!!
Geeg,Sam, Marion..... Ruth....anyone!!!

the fact it's only splitting now would suggest another trauma to the nail. I would not remove the enhancement and would continue with rebalancing. Otherwise there will be no support to stop the split. If the damage is not permanent then it will grow out.

A good oil, such as solar oil, applied a couple of times a day will help keep the plate moist and stop the nail drying out, aggrivating the split.
I have a nail like this....
But you are right in that, if any sign of infection occurs, she should see a doc.

Latest posts

Back