Help with a more substantial Red result?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettypaula

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here. Although i dont work as a hairstylist now i did train in a salon for 2 years but it wasnt for me.

So i guess im slightly more experienced than a regular consumer but not a pro!

Ive been colouring my hair with a mix of Loreal majirouge 7,62 and Majicontrast copper red with 6% peroxide for a few months following a colour remover of the black dye id had on for some time.

the condition of my hair is fine, but the gorgeous deep red i get only lasts a couple of weeks before it fades to a sort of dark ginger, not copper as it lacks lustre really.

my question is ive now got some 7,64 majirouge to and i was wondering what i can do to keep a better colour, is it poor tints? or perhaps not the right shade? or do i need more lift with a 9%?

im aiming for this kind of colour

Florence++The+Machine+florencedrink+in+hand.jpg

thanks for the help chaps and chapettes!

9% will make it fade even more! why are u using 6% do u have grey? 3% is fine and will not fade as much or u could use a semi!

ahh well i used 6% as the colour remover didnt lift the ends as much, i suppose now its a pretty even base i should switch to 3%, thankyou

id like a semi in between but never sure which is best, i got some matrix in between wash colour conditioner mousse which is ok, doesnt seem to change the colour but adds some shine and movement again. Its the warm one rather than cool.

Reds are a bit of a nightmare to keep vibrant. I would definitely take the previous advice about using 3% and maybe chuck in some red mixtone for extra zing.

To keep a red vibrant it is also about how you treat your hair. A decent shampoo goes a long way and by decent I man a salon professional one. My clients use Schwartzkopf colour save and get barely any fade. Regular conditioning treatments are a must. If you keep that cuticle tight it will lock that red in.
Keep straightening to a minimum as that can cause colour fade and don't over wash, 3 times a week should be plenty.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reds are a bit of a nightmare to keep vibrant. I would definitely take the previous advice about using 3% and maybe chuck in some red mixtone for extra zing.

To keep a red vibrant it is also about how you treat your hair. A decent shampoo goes a long way and by decent I man a salon professional one. My clients use Schwartzkopf colour save and get barely any fade. Regular conditioning treatments are a must. If you keep that cuticle tight it will lock that red in.
Keep straightening to a minimum as that can cause colour fade and don't over wash, 3 times a week should be plenty.

thankyou! ive been using a conditioner with protein in it, after reading scott cornwalls blog he recommends it, its Joico K Pak reconstructor, i also use an organic shampoo as i get psoriasis on my scalp sometimes but have been tending to inter mingle using that with something like bed head sulphate free shampoo, i will order some of the colour fade following that rec!

treatement wise im a fan of lee stafford hair hangover, found it really nice to leave on overnight and when i get my hair cut she always uses one of the single use treatments for moisturising my hair, but i may invest in some of my own to use at home, also i dont even own straighteners, im a bit of a vintage gal, i pin curl my hair at night and sleep in a head scarf! i also use a boar bristle denman brush which has helped with keeping my roots from getting oily... so washing about 3 times a week now instead of every day.

picked up some 3% today so shall try tonight and let u know! thanks for the input x

Last edited:
thankyou! ive been using a conditioner with protein in it, after reading scott cornwalls blog he recommends it, its Joico K Pak reconstructor, i also use an organic shampoo as i get psoriasis on my scalp sometimes but have been tending to inter mingle using that with something like bed head sulphate free shampoo, i will order some of the colour fade following that rec!

treatement wise im a fan of lee stafford hair hangover, found it really nice to leave on overnight and when i get my hair cut she always uses one of the single use treatments for moisturising my hair, but i may invest in some of my own to use at home, also i dont even own straighteners, im a bit of a vintage gal, i pin curl my hair at night and sleep in a head scarf! i also use a boar bristle denman brush which has helped with keeping my roots from getting oily... so washing about 3 times a week now instead of every day.

picked up some 3% today so shall try tonight and let u know! thanks for the input x

K pak is a great reconstructor but I personally would only use a heavy duty reconstructor on blondes/hi-lifts and knacked hair. The problem with reconstructors is they open the cuticle for awhile and can loosen colour, which means your reds, coppers and browns are subject to fade.

Just a normal treatment conditioner will suffice.

Good luck with tonight and keep us posted!

aaahhh okay, any tips on a good all round conditioner? ive ordered some schwarzkopf colour shampoo (the salon only stuff) would the matching conditioner be a good idea?

i have done the colour, and may i add it has turned out a million times better.

just the red i was after, now its just the fade test i guess x

hi, did u use 3% this time? colour vitamino by loreal is a great colour conditioner!

Schwartzkopf do a fab colour save treatment that is not to heavy. :)

have ordered the schwarzkopf conditioner and also some coloured ends sealant..

i used 3% this time, it came out a much richer deeper shade of red, far more colour seems to have been trapped for want of a better word, in the hair shaft.

i will post a series of shots after 4 or 6 weeks to show the fade! if its worth showing lol

Latest posts

Back