Help with breakage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexster

Reaction score
ive got a new customer whos a ghd freak... i was nt particularly worried about this when colouring her hair cus i was only doing hair roots (virgin hair) and i am a geek and never over lap my highlights as i know this causes breakage...

but and its a horrible one, i did my colour checked ever 10 mins as usual i even put a conditioning treatment on the ends of the hair in the foils..

well to get to the point the hair has broken down so much on the virgin hair quite close to the roots (no were near the joining part where virgin hair ends and the coloured hair starts) and its breaking...

the funny thing is i did notice a lot of breakage before i started and just thought it was were she was over straightening her parting,(which i gave a lecture on and told her not to do in futurehttp://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/Smack_2.gif) this has only happened to 2 of my foils (the ones on the parting) so i know its not the colour and not due to overlapping i was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else or if anyone has any advice for me, i really am worried it`ll happen again...

my theory is that shes killed the proteins in her hair at the root in this area by over straightening

help http://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

ive got a new customer whos a ghd freak... i was nt particularly worried about this when colouring her hair cus i was only doing hair roots (virgin hair) and i am a geek and never over lap my highlights as i know this causes breakage...

but and its a horrible one, i did my colour checked ever 10 mins as usual i even put a conditioning treatment on the ends of the hair in the foils..

well to get to the point the hair has broken down so much on the virgin hair quite close to the roots (no were near the joining part where virgin hair ends and the coloured hair starts) and its breaking...

the funny thing is i did notice a lot of breakage before i started and just thought it was were she was over straightening her parting,(which i gave a lecture on and told her not to do in futurehttp://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/Smack_2.gif) this has only happened to 2 of my foils (the ones on the parting) so i know its not the colour and not due to overlapping i was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else or if anyone has any advice for me, i really am worried it`ll happen again...

my theory is that shes killed the proteins in her hair at the root in this area by over straightening

help http://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif
oh and she want to try on of the perment blows (kera straight) drys so she doesn't use her ghds as much, will this damage her hair more?

Hi. Ghd damage wouldn't cause hair to snap at one colour application. Did you use heat to process the highlights? That would cause the problem you describe if it was too hot.
12 week blowdry whether it is la brasilliana or kerastraight will help and not make the problem worse.

i cant see your images? Are you sure the hair is virgin ? she hasnt had it lightened then darkened or anything else? Did the foils get hot and take quickly or anything like that, could it. be something like metallic salts on the hair ,causing a reaction other than the colour/bleach itself. Otherwise it could be that maybe there is something structurally wrong with the hair .

Hi. Ghd damage wouldn't cause hair to snap at one colour application. Did you use heat to process the highlights? That would cause the problem you describe if it was too hot.
12 week blowdry whether it is la brasilliana or kerastraight will help and not make the problem worse.
hi ya thanks for your messages
the clients hair was natural base of 5
i used loreal magi mech with 9%
also Schwartzkopf 6.0 and 6.6 with 6%
it was processed for 30 mins
the application was back to back slicing technique on the parting were it was applied to last after the nape n side areas.
total application time was 40 mins
and i forgot to say, cus i felt i was babbling on a bit that it also broke on the brown slices too and it smelled like perm solution after rinsing???... the area covered about the size of an golf ball and the breakage didn't happen across the length of the foil, only about an inch either side of were the parting would be..
foils fell backwards towards the crown running parallel to the hairline at the front the damage was around 3 inches away from the forehead...
i never use heat when processing a colour i dont even have a climazone or hood dryer in my salon...
i dont have any images if it happens again i`ll take some i never thought of that..
the colour of the highlights were still golden yellow in colour i dont process to get a white appearance id always tone afterwards.
i`ll check the products shes been using and see about metalic salts
im a joico stockist and have already called the helpline and will be shampooing and using reconstructuring products beforehand to see if it helps...

i just dont feel like i can do it again with out more info on whats been going on..
bex x

The smell of perm indicates metallic salts present. Did the magimeche heat up at all by themselves?

well i didnt feel them as i only checked visually..
thanks for your comments

Hi Bexter , you could do some test pieces with a one part perm lotion and two parts 20 vol peroxide
and feel for warmth or any discoloration ( purply pinky tones usually) as this would indicate that metallic salts are present , is she a swimmer , sometimes swimmers hair can react like this too with the chlorine

also I have seen dedicated GHD Gals get right close to the roots to scew it around and bend it , they do this repeatedly over and over to get some lift , or to get those teeny flyaways in too
and during the day they do a top up and repeat it with those ones handbag ones that run off gas

some people are so addicted they even have special teeny straighteners to get even closer to the roots to perform better on those flyaways

my guess is she knows what she has done or is doing to her hair , and it wouldn't be wise to carry on colouring her hair until she lays off what she is doing

:) minky

Hi Bexter , you could do some test pieces with a one part perm lotion and two parts 20 vol peroxide
and feel for warmth or any discoloration ( purply pinky tones usually) as this would indicate that metallic salts are present , is she a swimmer , sometimes swimmers hair can react like this too with the chlorine

also I have seen dedicated GHD Gals get right close to the roots to scew it around and bend it , they do this repeatedly over and over to get some lift , or to get those teeny flyaways in too
and during the day they do a top up and repeat it with those ones handbag ones that run off gas

some people are so addicted they even have special teeny straighteners to get even closer to the roots to perform better on those flyaways

my guess is she knows what she has done or is doing to her hair , and it wouldn't be wise to carry on colouring her hair until she lays off what she is doing

:) minky
she has promised to lay off the straighteners for the next 8 weeks till her next app but we shall see.. and thanks for the info i`ll do the incompatibility test before i colour it next time.. x

Latest posts

Back