Help with chipping varnish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helsbelsx

Reaction score
Hi all

I love to paint my nails and use different makes of nail polish as I tend to go for colour rather than make when I buy.

But when it comes to top coat I use only one - opi top coat. I bought this as I noticed salons always stock the brand so I thought it must be good but I find my varnish chips easily. Ive tried researching to find what is best but every site says different so I thought why not ask the expert's and see what you would suggest to be the better top coat on the market.
I dont use acrylics or gel varnish..... im just a old style type of varnish fan :lol:

Thank you all In advance

Hi, I love the OPI top coat.

Do you cap it over the tip of the nail? That usually helps x

Try Seche Vite. Much more robust than OPI top coat.

Hi, I love the OPI top coat.

Do you cap it over the tip of the nail? That usually helps x

Hi I never used to but I do now and its not making much difference to be honest

You would be a good candidate for cnd vinylux :), fast drying and lasts up to 7 days! Comes in lots of colours and you can buy it from lots of salons if you check on the CND salon finder xx

You would be a good candidate for cnd vinylux :), fast drying and lasts up to 7 days! Comes in lots of colours and you can buy it from lots of salons if you check on the CND salon finder xx

Thanks but unfortunately I cant afford these as i have loads of nail varnish so couldnt realy afford to replace it all with vinylux :(

Last edited:
Just a thought, could my top coat be too old? I cant remember when i bought it but it is definitely a couple of years old.

How soon after painting is it actually chipping?

Are you dehydrating the nail plate before application?

Xx

How soon after painting is it actually chipping?

Are you dehydrating the nail plate before application?

Xx

Sometimes when ive painted them in the evening it can be the next morning it has chipped. Other times it can be a day or 2. The worst time is after a shower, it never used to but now it chips all the time which is annoying :sad:

I dont dehydrate nail plate, to be honest never have and never had the chipping problem before until recently which is why I thought maybe my top coat isnt suitable anymore .

Sometimes when ive painted them in the evening it can be the next morning it has chipped. Other times it can be a day or 2. The worst time is after a shower, it never used to but now it chips all the time which is annoying :sad:

I dont dehydrate nail plate, to be honest never have and never had the chipping problem before until recently which is why I thought maybe my top coat isnt suitable anymore .

Give your nails a good wipe over with nail varnish before you paint them next time and see if that helps.

Maybe your polish is just a bit old?

To be honest though, polish is polish. I wouldn't expect any more than 2 days completely chip free. Any extras are a bonus!

Using a good Base coat will help too, I always use Essie polishes. Boots and superdrug sell them now 😃 x x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Give your nails a good wipe over with nail varnish before you paint them next time and see if that helps.

Maybe your polish is just a bit old?

To be honest though, polish is polish. I wouldn't expect any more than 2 days completely chip free. Any extras are a bonus!

Hi to be honest i do have some polish that is a good few years old but ive also got new polish to and i find the polish is chiping within a day.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Using a good Base coat will help too, I always use Essie polishes. Boots and superdrug sell them now 😃 x x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im Currently using collection 2in1 Base coat and ridge filler.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use Seche Vite, but it goes gloopy after just a few uses, so either decant a bit into a cleaned out old bottle, or buy mini bottles. The Seche thinner is a must buy IMHO.

Seche also do a UV curable top coat. You can apply it over any varnish as long as it is thoroughly dry. It cures with any basic led lamp (around £35 now). It will give extended life to your polish, not be too much drama to remove and also allow you to continue to enjoy your existing polish collection.

What base coat do you all use?

Im thinking of maybe going for the seche top coat and just wondering what base coat everyone suggests
:)

I use OPI base coat then Seche Vite on top. Some varnishes I can get 5 days with minimal chipping with those two.

Seche Clear for my base coat x

I can get 10-12 days using opi base, colour & top coat I prefer seiche vite top coat for the shine but finds it's not as hard wearing'

Latest posts

Back