Help with colouring acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stook

Reaction score
Really quick and (hopefully) easy question.

I have tons of additives and want to play with them and my acrylic, but am still a relative newbie to the dark art.

I understand the ratios of glitter/additive to acrylic but I'm not sure if I can apply these mixes straight to the natural nail.

I had a lady in earlier this week who desperately wanted the CND additive Jaded rebel in her acrylic. I mixed it 3/1 but to be sure I wasn't guffing it up I did a very thin layer of clear acrylic on her nails before placing the mixed acrylic. I then capped with clear. They looked great but I'm just wondering if I could have saved myself some time by not putting on the original clear layer?

Thank you x

I always add a layer of clear acrylic underneath to work as a base layer, before any nail art.
I can't see any problem with your procedure.
Perhaps someone else has a different opinion

Really quick and (hopefully) easy question.

I have tons of additives and want to play with them and my acrylic, but am still a relative newbie to the dark art.

I understand the ratios of glitter/additive to acrylic but I'm not sure if I can apply these mixes straight to the natural nail.

I had a lady in earlier this week who desperately wanted the CND additive Jaded rebel in her acrylic. I mixed it 3/1 but to be sure I wasn't guffing it up I did a very thin layer of clear acrylic on her nails before placing the mixed acrylic. I then capped with clear. They looked great but I'm just wondering if I could have saved myself some time by not putting on the original clear layer?

Thank you x
You could do it either way. A clear base layer is a good option if there will be a colour change at the next rebalance though as you won't have so much filing to do.

I use a clear base layer to protect the natural nail when removing at an infill. I only cap in clear when necessary

Thanks for this. I've also just bought some coloured acrylic from CJP and assume the same applies - I think I'll continue with a thin layer of clear under everything. Thank you.

I have 2 clients that get a new set every month so I don't use clear under theirs. I haven't had any staining issues which I had with NSI.

Latest posts

Back